BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a block heater? Who are you using? Switching from a TDI to gas might be different but I'd like to think it can't hurt?

My car has about 250k KM on it so I figure its time to start babying it. Remote start instead?

Conflicted :woot:

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
What AC linked is probably the best option.

But also be careful of a few things.

1. Remote starter or starting and long idle is not really the best things for these cars. Better to start and then drive.

2. You need to be careful about moisture build up in the crankcase.

See this link here - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1058071&highlight=manage

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What AC linked is probably the best option.

But also be careful of a few things.

1. Remote starter or starting and long idle is not really the best things for these cars. Better to start and then drive.

Interesting, I wasn't aware that idling wasn't recommended. Any particular reason for this?

When you say moisture buildup, how can this be prevented? Does a remote starter or oil pan heater increase this risk?

See this thread on a BMW block heater. As I recall there was a BMW dealer in BC that was selling them ... may be in the linked thread.
I did see that thread but since it was a single sku I wasnt sure and more digging for options. Thanks though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts