E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an '01 330ci. The previous owner had HID headlights and fog lights installed. Ever since I've owned the car (3yrs), I have had issues with the driver-side blinker burning out. I have replaced it 5-6 times, and that number would probably be higher if I didn't wait so long to replace it when it goes out. I also noticed that the fog light on that side does not stay on- it turns on, but then shuts off after a few minutes. I have no idea if these issues are related. I have solved the fog light problem by just not using my fog lights, but I need my blinker!
Any idea why that blinker bulb burns out so often? Do you think it's related to the issue with the aftermarket fog light?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
My first thought would be to check the voltage going to the blinker bulb, if it's to high there's your problem.

Rob43

·
Registered
2001 325i 5mt. 2009 535xi Touring 6mt.
594 Posts
I doubt this is your issue because I trust you when you say the bulb burns out but I'll throw it out anyway. My front passenger turn signal goes out every 6 months it seems. The bulb doesn't actually burn out though, seems to be a bad connection because I remove the bulb and reinsert it and it works for another 6 months. The bulb and connector both look good; I don't see corrosion. I've even put a dab of dielectric grease on the tip of the bulb but it still seems to happen.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I doubt this is your issue because I trust you when you say the bulb burns out but I'll throw it out anyway. My front passenger turn signal goes out every 6 months it seems. The bulb doesn't actually burn out though, seems to be a bad connection because I remove the bulb and reinsert it and it works for another 6 months. The bulb and connector both look good; I don't see corrosion. I've even put a dab of dielectric grease on the tip of the bulb but it still seems to happen.
Um dielectric = insulating material or a very poor conductor of electric current. Not sure how good of an idea this is.

I had burned connectors that would cause a bulb out warning and rapid blink when I purchased my car. Might not be a bad idea to do a through inspection of the bulb housing and replace if necessary.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.