E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front bumper on my 325ci is pretty beat up. Alot of rock chips and way too much for chip doctor to correct. So my question is shall I have the front bumper repainted and fixed and have them blend it into the car or just buy a new Mtech front bumper and have them spray that and I'll just install it.

Major downside to the blending is that over time the new paint will fade differently correct?

Upside to the Mtech is that it'll probably cost less (I'm guessing) and I won't have to have the front end blended, but I will have to install it and there is also a slight change you will notice the color difference between panels.

Help me decide!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
They are going to have to paint it either way, so essentially the difference in price is the prep work on the current bumper to make it close to perfect vs. paying for the mtech. It might just be a few hundred difference depending on how bad your current bumper is.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They are going to have to paint it either way, so essentially the difference in price is the prep work on the current bumper to make it close to perfect vs. paying for the mtech. It might just be a few hundred difference depending on how bad your current bumper is.
Bumper is pretty shot, it would take alot of work to get it back to like new, I would say atleast 4 hours just on that if not more to prep it for paint and the Mtech comes primed ready for paint. I don't have any current pictures though.

So you're saying they will blend the front end of the car anyways basically...I pretty much got a few quotes to do my car as is for about a grand. That seems extremely pricy to me seeing that I can get the entire car painted for 4-5K and all they're doing on my car is painting the front bumper and blending a foot into the hood and fenders. I have alittle experiene in body wor (about 1.5 years) so I'm no professionaly at all bt I'm also not stupid and I just think it's a very high price.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
If the prep on your current bumper will take that long, it might be worth it to go with the Mtech. Yes, either way you'll have to blend. $1k is on the high side of reasonable, but if your bumper needs a ton of prep, it sounds right. I just had mine repainted and it was $700 and was in very good shape, relatively speaking.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
If the prep on your current bumper will take that long, it might be worth it to go with the Mtech. Yes, either way you'll have to blend. $1k is on the high side of reasonable, but if your bumper needs a ton of prep, it sounds right. I just had mine repainted and it was $700 and was in very good shape, relatively speaking.
Thanks, yea the quote I got was with my current bumper. I just got another quote to just paint the mtech bumper and it'll be around $225 so I figure if I have them blend it won't be anymore then $600 I hope. I'll cross that bridge when I give them the bumper and the car.

Thank you for your insight:thumbup:

·
Registered
493 Posts
But if they blend it don't they have to do a LOT more prep...basically masking the whole car to protect from stray overspray? (I'm trying to learn a bit about body work)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But if they blend it don't they have to do a LOT more prep...basically masking the whole car to protect from stray overspray? (I'm trying to learn a bit about body work)
They blend about a foot into mating panels. At the foot line they will feather the edge then wet and clear coat the area, sometimes even the entire front clip. From that point back they will have to mask the car off but it's not like taping off everything. They use a huge piece of plastic like a big garbage bag and just lay it over the car and tape it down secure underneath.

I'm still undecided on what I want to do. I'm thinking about just getting the Mtech and having them color match my front bumper as the paint is fine and not faded. When you start blending more of the OEM paint gets lost and as time goes on it will age differently and then the blend work will start rearing its ugly head. Bumber will be 400 paint it for 225 and install myself. That's more reasonable for me lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts