BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the temp today was like 75 degrees. When I was leaving school i start my car and when i start it i give it a little gas. some black smoke comes out of my exhaust. i stop the car and go look at the exhaust, there is black sut all in the tips. One of my friends is also a mechanic so he looks at it with me. We put the car in neutral and rev the engine a little, as we do this a little less smoke comes out. we periodicall rev it to about 5,000 RPM's every 30-40 seconds and every time the is a little less smoke. I told him that the rings might have burned out but there are only 7000 miles on my car. Does anybody have any other thoughts, or does anybody know about how much it would cost to get a compression test done to see if i have a gap between my cylinder wall and piston. Please Respond.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks but i dont think that is it.

·
Core Fanatic
1,160 Posts
Black smoke means too much fuel (running rich). Your mechanic buddy should know as much, or know more by looking at the symptoms. It shouldn't be your rings, it would be white smoke if it was oil burning.

Carbon build up is also black smoke, but I doubt a newer BMW will have carbon build up. You should see a trusted BMW mechanic

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, i will have BMW check out the air sensor, fuel:air ratio, oxygen sensor and ECU.

·
Core Fanatic
1,160 Posts
No problem, man. I was at the Platinum Plus last weekend, we will be back in Memphis Dec 6 for another go. I can't help threadjacking, but for $1, I say three dancers lick each other's pussie........it is my favorite club.

To any fanatics in driving distance of Memphis, TN, it is a must see.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
platinum Plus (Other word the Mt. Moriah Performing Arts center)is a great place. I agree that any one is Memphis Area check it out. Also, hijacking my own thred here, go to Beale Street on a Friday Night. It is like Marti Gras in New Orleans.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It is normal when u didn't push your car for a long time and then u start to push it hard. I would say to keep an eye on it for a few days and if the black smoke is still there then bring it back to the dealer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts