E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Blackout the grill?

• Yes

Votes: 37 74.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 26.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
surferdude013 said:
i cant decide to do it or not. i love the look of chrome but i also love the blackout look. :dunno:
If you like both, why not save yourself the money and leave it how it is?

Spend that money on something you really want to change about your car.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its just that my car is black sapphire metalic. if i do it as a diy then i will only spend 5-6 dollars. i think it looks amazing with dde's and eyelids. i have both but im just not sure on what i want to do.... im leaning more toward yes

·
Registered
375 Posts
surferdude013 said:
its just that my car is black sapphire metalic. if i do it as a diy then i will only spend 5-6 dollars. i think it looks amazing with dde's and eyelids. i have both but im just not sure on what i want to do.... im leaning more toward yes
Go for it =)

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Tell ya what..... heres what i am going to do...the blackout grille..is HORRIBLE...it is flat black so it will not match your car ( i have jet black and tried the blackout grille)......

It is such an eye sore.....so..................that being said...i am going to buy a replacement and have it painted by my body shop or do it myself and add a ton of gloss so it matches the car...then i will have both... so if i feel like getting really aggressive i will switch it to the black or keep the chrome on until i feel like a change...."best of both worlds" :thumbup:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sd76 said:
Tell ya what..... heres what i am going to do...the blackout grille..is HORRIBLE...it is flat black so it will not match your car ( i have jet black and tried the blackout grille)......

It is such an eye sore.....so..................that being said...i am going to buy a replacement and have it painted by my body shop or do it myself and add a ton of gloss so it matches the car...then i will have both... so if i feel like getting really aggressive i will switch it to the black or keep the chrome on until i feel like a change...."best of both worlds" :thumbup:
thats a good idea. do you know how much a body shop can get a chrome one for? do you think its less than a 100 bimmian one? i am kinda going for a blackout theme on my car.... black rims, black window trim, black grille. i just think it looks sporty and slick.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
surferdude013 said:
thats a good idea. do you know how much a body shop can get a chrome one for? do you think its less than a 100 bimmian one? i am kinda going for a blackout theme on my car.... black rims, black window trim, black grille. i just think it looks sporty and slick.

I would call around to diff. dealerships OR DEF> EBAY... and buy one for like 50 bucks and then bring the chrome part to be painted....GOD, i couldnt imagine they would charge u alot......its not a huge piece....i have heard that some people that know someone in a shop and they use the extra paint that has been used (instead of throwing it out) and they will paint it for free... best bet do some research....and def. let me know what u come up with! :thumbup:

BTW... some people do it themselves with black paint and Gloss...looks really good to me too...good luck

·
Registered
171 Posts
Do NOT buy a pair of blackout Hamann style grills on eBay. Most of them fit HORRIBLY on your car, and it will be a waste of time and money. Buy them from TurnerMotorsport, or buy the OEM inner black grill slats from BMW and have the surround either painted black or buy the Hamann overlays, but do NOT buy the replacement black grills via eBay unless you want a B-I-G headache... :(

·
Registered
518 Posts
sd76 said:

Hey man, and for the dude interested in getting a black out grille you can order the blackout grille in jet black or any color you want. If you order it as-is you'll get that flat black shitty color. Just make sure. The blackout looks :str8pimpi

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
Depends on the color of the car and the look you're going for.

IMHO blacked out grills look :thumbdwn: and ruin the timeless look of the twin kidneys

·
Registered
377 Posts
How about colour-code grill instead of black?

My car is 'orient blue' and I was thinking of painting my grill in the same colour as opposed to black. Has anyone got any pics of colour-coded grill???

·
Registered
332 Posts
Blackout :thumbup:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i just finished painting them. its pretty damn cold here today so i brought them inside right after i painted a coat. they look great. and my eyelids are here on the 26th... damn thanksgiving!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts