BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
needs a new sig...
Joined
·
4,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my way home tonite about 3 am and i am going rather slowly 35mph max..my car is still warming up and its 15 degrees out so i know ice may be lurking. I come to a 90 degree bend in the road to the right, a three lane highway i am in the right most lane. i slow to 25mph and enter the turn....my dsc light begins to flicker and i am sliding sideways across 3 lanes towards to concrete divider.. i am quickyl of the gas and turn my whell vigorously to the left to counteract the feelign of understeer and try to get pointed in the direction i want to go.. i slid across all 3 lanes maybe 6 inches formt he wall only to get some traction and start heading away form the wall..i am going about 15 mph at this point and i slide now to the right back across the lnaes again...(i know you are all thining i over corrected but no way it was me it was ll the ice) after sliding around for a sld 5 more seconds i get the car to stop.. a bit shaken and no damage i continue home.

i am thinking that maye i should look into some winter tires and rims. i can fit 16inch wheels on a 330 right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
I would recommend snows for sure! If you have a 330ci I would suggest Blizzak LM-22s so you can still drive pretty aggressive on dry pavement days. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,690 Posts
Smallest for 330 is 17"

Get some snow tires. Then you will be fine. And drive safe. :thumbup:
 

·
Network Analyst
Joined
·
3,487 Posts
No matter what tires you get or whatever type of traction control you have there's no substitute for common sense and responsible driving...not that I'm bashing you or anything.

Anyway, invest in a set of snow tires. I too have the Blizzak LM-22 with some Evo Sport rims from Tire Rack. Makes for a good combination but I can still make myself lose the back end if I try hard enough or do something stupid.

dave
 

·
Big in Japan
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
snow tires will make a RIDICULOUS difference; I know from experience; not being able to drive in 1/2 inch of snow to being able to transverse anything that fell 2 years ago when we had alot of snow in the northeast (remember new years??) Get a set, you want the same size all around, prb 215s or 225s, narrower the better, it cuts thru the fluffier stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Chailo27 said:
Would snow tires have any effect on ICE?


I have Blizzaks WS-50s on my car, these tires have great ice traction.

"The Blizzak WS-50 also features Bridgestone's Tube Multicell Compound, which helps disperse water to reduce the risk of slipping on the thin surface film of water that makes ice so dangerous."

"first 55% of the Blizzak WS-50 tread depth features the Link Multicell Compound while the remaining 45% features a standard winter tire compound."

I know what some people will say "WS-50s tires are to squirmy and only Q rated" but for me I do most of my winter driving in the city, and the roads become icy after plowing. This is the second set of Blizzaks my first set I used on my Mustang.

If you live in moderate winter zone or want a more performance snowtire I recommend using the LM-22, Pilot Alpin or Pielli Snowsports you do sacrifice some snow and ice traction with the winter sport tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Full Time Hit Man said:
Smallest for 330 is 17"


Tirerack has one 16" wheel that fits over the 330ci's brakes. They are ATI type 5s. I have them on my 330ci with 16/55/205 Arctic Alpins.

Narrower = better in the snow! Sure, they look small, but I'm happy if it keeps me on the road for a few months.

Slida
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,315 Posts
Snow tires are for more grip on snow...

Doesn't affect on ice...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
Much as I didn't want to buy winter tires this morning convinced me I had to. Got the Blizzak 205/50/17's on the way and the relatively inexpensive Mille Miglia Spider rim. Tirerack sounded like they were doing a brisk business. Of course buying these will guarantee no more snow in the DC area for the season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Re: Snow tires are for more grip on snow...

ssutisna said:
Doesn't affect on ice...
Not always true...check out the reviews on tirerack. Many winter tires have special compounds that are much 'stickier' for icy surfaces, in addition to providing snow traction.
 

·
Big in Japan
Joined
·
1,373 Posts
Re: Snow tires are for more grip on snow...

ssutisna said:
Doesn't affect on ice...
thats completely wrong. Snow tires adhere to ice much better than regular tires. Granted, its still ice, but something is better than nothing.

Also, most of our cars have performance tires, even when cold on dry roads, traction is greatly reduced because the rubber gets very hard; performance tires temperature range is exceeded in sub freezing temps.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top