BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black cube trim on ZHPs are starting to turn purple due to sun exposure. Anyone have a good way to get black cube trim back to black?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm thinking about using some Aluminum Black by Birchwood. This stuff is supposed to blacken anodized black aluminum and is used for gun parts and other aluminum parts. Has anyone had experience using this stuff? Don't know if it might be blotchy and uneven in color.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Purple? I say keep it as is and tell people its Individual Puprle Cube Trim

·
Registered
7,495 Posts
when i see purple trim the date is over , unless i did it

·
Registered
559 Posts
i get that purple look on my cube trim when i wear my polarized sunglasses... i thought it was just mine doing that... oh well i guess i'll have to paint it sometime down the road.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya, Seems to be only on trim sections that have been in the sun the most. Other sections are still very black.. I was thinking about getting the purple back to black, get my windows tinted, and put some 303 on the aluminum for SPF protection. The worst parts on mine are just over the glove box and around the shifter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd be careful about purchasing black cube trim used since some trim pieces could be very purple as apposed to black. The sun really does fade the black cube trim over time. Our front windows are not tinted and that's where most of the sun light gets in. From what I've read anodized aluminum is dyed after treatment with similar dyes that are used with fabrics so they experience the same fading when exposed to the sun. So remember to 303 your cube trim at the same time as your vinyl unless purple is back in-style these days.

·
Registered
760 Posts
if you're still under your original warranty take it to the dealer and raise hell. they should switch it out for you.

even if they say its a wear and tear item i would fight it. that's how i got a new drivers seat right before my warranty ended.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Over a year of sitting in the sun, my silver carbon fiber has sun fade in areas, like the shifter trim. I now use 303 Aerospace Protectant on it. Wish I would have done this before, and got a window sunscreen. Just a note to others. I have not found anything that could get the gloss back to the little faded parts. If someone knows how to bring back UV damage done to carbon fiber or cube trim, please chime in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Of course an alternative might be just using a very thin matte epoxy paint with the correct surface prep. I think the pattern might fill in too much with a thicker coat paint. It needs to be a very thin coating to look right which might prevent it from working. And then there's always having it re-anodized which would most likely involve removing the plastic backing with heat....

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
If its material or leather, use some leather dye. I re-blackened lots of stuff before with that stuff and IT DOES NOT COME OFF OR WASH OUT. (So dont get it on your clothing/hands OR YOUR CAR). Afterwards wipe some 313 leather dressing over the item (As a kind of 'clear coat'). When used on suede, wait till it dries and rub lightly the suede to give it back its original texture.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Black cube trim on ZHPs are starting to turn purple due to sun exposure. Anyone have a good way to get black cube trim back to black?
Yup: claim its a BMW individual option, sell it on eBay for twice what it's worth, then buy new cube trim + booze with profit. :p

Bart

1 - 13 of 13 Posts