BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone who has done this or seen a DIY instruction on the subject help me out? I searched all over and can't find anything.

I'm getting tired of my black bumper and side mouldings and I'm gonna get it painted.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I just want to refresh the look a bit so I don't start thinking of getting a new car and save myself some dough. My car has low miles and hasn't given me any headaches and would really like to keep it for a long time. But you know, it's like getting a new tie, it makes the old suit looking fresh.

I love the road sign in your sig!!!

·
I got nothin'
303 Posts
Removing is very, very easy. Start at a door door and just GENTLY pry away with a flat blade screwdriver. I'd suggest wrapping the blade of the screwdriver with thin cloth to protect the paint under the trim.

The bumpers are a bit more tricky but for the front I started at the CENTER, removing that piece. It is also just 'clipped' and you can get a screwdriver in the 'seam' and gently pull it away. As soon as you can get finger tips in there, drop the tool and work it with the fingertips only.

All 12 pieces (sedan) should come out easily. The rear is a bit trickier. Start again with the big 'middle' piece and then remove the two side pieces.

YOU WILL BREAK CLIPS when you do this. ALL pieces are held on with white retaining clips and green insulating rubber boots. These are CHEAP to replace. I would up buying a bag of 30 replacement clips the very day that I dropped off the moulding to get it painted.

I had all 12 pieces, rear bumper insert piece and my headlight trim painted Titanium Silver to match. It was $300 including prep, paint and clearcoat. If you need more I'll try to explain better.

Klang.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts