E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a spare for the e46 from bmw in Scotland UK and put it away in my drawer without checking if it works etc because I rarely drive that car and its parked in a secure lockup. Anyhow, wanted to get the car on the road so I headed over to pick the car up to find that either the new key I bought is not for my car or cut incorrectly. I think this because the central locking system will not react to the buttons on the key, the key will not turn in the key ignotion barrel or turn in any of the external locks. I have a blank spare key cut which I put in the ignition turned it to on position and held the new keys imboliser to the steering column to see if the imboliser would work. It didn't work!
Now 3 mknths and some days later after buying the new key I went to bmw dealer and they told me to f off bacuase it has been 3 months and some days I had come back to bmw with an issue! Does this sound right? Sounds very unfair when they have fukd up? And apparently keys have a 2 year warranty? Any advice?

·
Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
916 Posts
If you had told them it worked yesterday but it didn't work today, they would warranty it and fix it, right?

Well then they should fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The idiots are arguing that because I didn't come back sooner to tell them the key was wrong they will not warrant a claim. However, I will proceed on the immobiliser issue and tell them that doesn't work. Theoretically I should still be able to start the key with that imboliser chip and another blank key. Or my other idea is to get the chip read by bmw and threaten to sell the key on eBay with the vin number attached for very cheap(to scare them on possible comebacks, if the key is not for my car) Ofcourse I wouldn't do that but can always threaten them!

·
Premium Member
2005 330xi Auto, 2006 330ci Vert Auto
916 Posts
Simply state - it doesn't work. I would like you to fix it under the 2 years warranty.

That's all you need to say :).

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts
If the dealer says go away,
talk to BMW UK.

If they say go away, go to BMW AG.

They didn't give you the right cut, they'll make it right.

From the dealer, the key should turn the ignition and start the car.
Whenever I get a new one, it takes a bit of tri-flow and some wiggling the
first couple times, then it works well.

You have to program the remote functions on the buttons, though.

hth,
t

1 - 5 of 5 Posts