E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking about getting xenons, does it matter if i get regular xenons or bixenons? is there much of a difference? is the bixenon just for your highbeams also, instead of just lowbeams. if thats the only difference, i rarely use my highbeams.

·
Der Meisterstück
2,471 Posts
dicanumba9 said:
im thinking about getting xenons, does it matter if i get regular xenons or bixenons? is there much of a difference? is the bixenon just for your highbeams also, instead of just lowbeams. if thats the only difference, i rarely use my highbeams.
I believe the BiXenons also have height leveling that is connected to the suspension.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Bi-Xenon's also are larger in diameter by at least 1 inch. They fill the headlight housing a lot nicer and look better IMO.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Has anyone use their highbeams? i think i used mine twice in last 2 years

·
Registered
513 Posts
also bi-xenon headlights allow the car to have day time running lights...

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,376 Posts
MrMotorwerk said:
I believe the BiXenons also have height leveling that is connected to the suspension.
No that is for all xenons, that is called autoleveling.

But if you are retrofitting, you will not have autoleveling unless you wanna spend a lot of $$$ and time running a bunch of wires. Bixenon basically uses the xenon projectors as high beams by utilizing a flap inside the projector to aim the beam higher. As a resul, the inner beams of lights that are halogens will only be used for DRLs or flashing your brights. Bixenons tend to be hit and miss as far as retrofitting and sometimes flicker which means you need to go to your stealership and get your LCM reprogrammed to accept the bixenons.

The regular xenons still use the projector housing to emit a low beam xenon light but use the inner halogen beams as high beams, flash your high beams, and DRL's. Hope that clears things up.

·
(oOO \ (||||)(||||) / OOo)
2,282 Posts
BMWERKEN said:
No that is for all xenons, that is called autoleveling.

But if you are retrofitting, you will not have autoleveling unless you wanna spend a lot of $$$ and time running a bunch of wires. Bixenon basically uses the xenon projectors as high beams by utilizing a flap inside the projector to aim the beam higher. As a resul, the inner beams of lights that are halogens will only be used for DRLs or flashing your brights. Bixenons tend to be hit and miss as far as retrofitting and sometimes flicker which means you need to go to your stealership and get your LCM reprogrammed to accept the bixenons.

The regular xenons still use the projector housing to emit a low beam xenon light but use the inner halogen beams as high beams, flash your high beams, and DRL's. Hope that clears things up.
EXACTLY!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts