BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
There I was, Sicily, 1918..
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, is it me or are Bimmer drivers [generally] more courteous to other Bimmer drivers?

Examples:
• I was trying to make a left into a busy-ass intersection. Nobody let me in (they had the right of way) until a 530 came up... the driver stopped and let me through.
• I was on the FWY, and a guy in a beautiful silver 325Ci pulled up next to me and gave me a thumbs up, then took off and was careful to not cut *me* off.

• A guy in a black or dark blue coupe (dunno if it was 325 or 330) was making an improper lane change (that lane was stopped, mine was doing about 35-40). I noticed it was a Bimmer, so I let him in (see, works both ways) and, unlike most people, he waived and thanked me.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head... anyone?

·
Registered
585 Posts
yah i always have bimmers flashing their high beams for cops ahead.. i owe you all cuz north jersey cops dont play nice

·
Registered
125 Posts
I always notice other x5 drivers let me through lol even stupid women from my town!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yeah, I think I'm nicer to other bimmer drivers, but it's only because everybody else craps down on us.

Not to threadjack, but I'd like to point out that while BMW drivers don't have a particularly good reputation out on the road, SAAB drivers are 500x worse. These idiots in their SAABs cut people off left and right, think they deserve to live in the left lane going 57 because they have a turbo car, and a list of other things I can't think of. I'd like to also point out that Volvo drivers rank second behind SAAB drivers. Seems that they have their noses too high in their Sweedish made cars to let someone in to their lane. Hey, just be a Sweedish car thing, never really had an issue with Audis or Benzes.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was driving next to this nice silver 2003 745iL and we just were cruising next to each other on the expressway and I petted my car on the steering wheel and said "that's your daddy." lol

·
'a certain moderator'
37,714 Posts
a lot of bimmer drivers are azzholes too tho... not sayin anyone from this forum rolls like that, but there are def. some.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I've noticed this about other BMW drivers. There's a camaraderie amongst us, as brothers under the roundel. I make a point to always be courteous to other BMW drivers.

·
Lying, drunken cheat
4,376 Posts
You'll definitely get better treatment from the other BMW enthusiasts. I doubt you'll get any respect from the badge buyers, though, they're probably pissed at you for having the same car that they have. :lmao:

One time on the freeway I was passed by a group of 3 other Bimmers: two E46's and an E39...the group was easily doing 90+. Naturally, I sped up to catch them and tail. My first thought was that they were together, possibly heading to a meet or something else (although their cars were stock, and one was only lightly modded). Found out later when one got off at the same rest stop that they were not related in any way, they had just seen each other on the highway (all speeding, of course) and clumped together, not unlike what I had done. :thumbup:

·
Registered
131 Posts
haha its soo true... i saw a black coupe the other night on nice rims flying down beside me in a lane that was ending so i hit the breaks pretty hard to make sure he could get in. Like a true BMW driver though he wasn't about to make the easy merge and he floored it and cut off another van, had he taken a few seconds more to do so he would have jumped the curb.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I drive to the Financial District of SF everyday. I noticed that with younger Bimmer drivers that there is more courtesy - a wave here, a flash there, even a thumbs up - but with older Bimmer drivers I'm just another commuter. Why is that?

·
Registered
175 Posts
blkonblk330i said:
I drive to the Financial District of SF everyday. I noticed that with younger Bimmer drivers that there is more courtesy - a wave here, a flash there, even a thumbs up - but with older Bimmer drivers I'm just another commuter. Why is that?
Ditto, I was going to post the same exact thing.

One other thing I have noticed though, since I got my Bimmer a couple months ago is that people LOVE to ride my ass like 2 feet from my bumper. It pisses me off so much. That almost never happenned in my previous vehicles (Celica and Wrangler). Maybe people are just jealous of BMW owners.

·
Carbon Fiber Airbox
1,660 Posts
"I was driving next to this nice silver 2003 745iL and we just were cruising next to each other on the expressway and I petted my car on the steering wheel and said "that's your daddy." lol "

HA!

As for being curteous, you bet! I always wave at fellow Bimmer drives and I will be accomadating to them if they need to pass or merge or what have you.

Since i've gotten my car, I've been waving to all Bimmer drives and only a handfull namely "younger" drivers have responded with a wave or a nod.

·
'a certain moderator'
37,714 Posts
the best is when u just run into another Bimmer on the highway, and make some great time getting to ur destination :D

i made it from Lancaster to Philly, and down to Baltimore in 3hrs flat cruising with other bimmers that just randomly appeared and wanted to GO :D and i wonder why i dont have a license :lmao: :evil:

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Interesting thread...

I used to own a 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport, and if you know Jeep's you know about the infamous "Jeep wave". I mean, every single Jeep you see, 9 times out of 10 they will wave. And if you wave at another Jeep, even if the people driving it are elderly, they usually understand and will wave back.:thumbup:

So after I aquired my 3 series, I was curious to see how fellow BMW drivers reacted when I pulled up next to them or drove past them. I expected a certain camaraderie, as a BMW is an enthusiast car (I also experienced this same camaraderie when riding in my Dad's Vette).

So far, I haven't experienced any camaraderie whatsoever. Driving around campus and town (Virginia Tech, Blacksburg), the older people are on their cell phones or don't even see me when I drive past them or pull up next to them. As for teenage drivers my age, most of them have their damn seat back all the way back and are blasting rap music and can't even give me a nod or an acknowledgement that I'm a fellow BMW owner.:dunno:

Maybe they were just snobby?

Anywho...an interesting thing I have noticed ever since driving my Bimmer: Riceburners ALWAYS WANT TO RACE ME!! What the hell is with that? I'm like, do I look like I belong in the Fast & The Furious? Is my car riced out? Nooooo:ben:

I usually just laugh at them and don't even bother... sometimes I will race but I will not brag on this board about owning a Honda Accord:eeps:

One thing that I did enjoy was how many students are BMW enthusiasts, even if they don't own one. Driving around the drillfiled (a circular road that is in the center of campus), I will frequently have to stop at crosswalks and bus stops. I always see students pointing and smiling at my car, and one time during a Friday night, I drove by this bus stop and heard a crowd of kids go "Damn that's a 330!!!". This ain't no Ferrari and this was at the time that my car was bone stock... and people still thought it was a car that stood out in the crowd. That made me feel good.:D

There is definitly a camaraderie with the online community and BMW shows and meets, but as far as random drivers on the road, I haven't experienced this yet.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Drex said:

One other thing I have noticed though, since I got my Bimmer a couple months ago is that people LOVE to ride my ass like 2 feet from my bumper. It pisses me off so much. That almost never happenned in my previous vehicles (Celica and Wrangler). Maybe people are just jealous of BMW owners.
There's always gonna be a$$o$ who will ride your ass. I make it a point to slow down a little and look at my rear view mirror until they back off, then I proceed with the flow. It seems to work:thumbup:

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
i am that way with bmw drivers

and i like to see if any 3 series car that i come across has our
club sticker on their car to. never saw one yet. but i have one on my driver side back window ...........
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
blkonblk330i said:

There's always gonna be a$$o$ who will ride your ass. I make it a point to slow down a little and look at my rear view mirror until they back off, then I proceed with the flow. It seems to work:thumbup:
If people ride my ass I will give them a couple of warnings by tapping my brakes. If they continue to tailgate I just let off the gas and coast as I slowly slow down until I'm just crawling. Then when they try and pass me by going into the oncoming lane I gun it and force them to get back behind me. Then I flash my hazards and give them the peace sign. Stupid people.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
29,482 Posts
Drex said:

If people ride my ass I will give them a couple of warnings by tapping my brakes. If they continue to tailgate I just let off the gas and coast as I slowly slow down until I'm just crawling. Then when they try and pass me by going into the oncoming lane I gun it and force them to get back behind me. Then I flash my hazards and give them the peace sign. Stupid people.

I LOOOOOVE doing this HAHAHAHAH! But yeah I always give props and the right of way to bimmers...all other cars can suck it cause they aint got the roundel ahha...

·
Registered
732 Posts
i was drivin in downtown once, and asked a guy with an old M6(looked nice as heck), that guy just didn't give me directions, but he also took me there and then got out of the car, came up to my window and gave me more directions because he had to go another way...(while there was traffic behind us....) coolest guy! and many other BMW drivers I see(except stupid women) are pretty cool too, unless they are those busy people who need to be on their cell phones talkin about business(unless its some ***** on her cell phone....ok that pisses me off a lot!)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts