E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been reading through most of the xi suspension threads and the general consensus seems to be that the bilstein sport/H&R setup is too harsh especially on bad roads like where I live. It also sounds like the main culprit is the H&R springs.

Has anyone tried a bilstein (HD or sport) with eibach setup? I haven't seen too many guys with this. Again, the general consensus is that koni/eibach is the way to go. I could blindly follow the herd on this one, but I'm not sure if the adjustability factor of the koni's is necessary since I won't be tracking the car. I'm assuming the bilstein/eibach setup will be less harsh (and sit a little higher) than the bilstein/H&R. Is this an accurate statement?

If anyone has experience with a bilstein/eibach setup, please chime in. Turner's got a deal on the bilsteins (HD or sport) for $412 shipped. I'd rather go with the bilstein's since they cost a little less, but if Koni gives a better ride and causes less problems down the road (premature failing of suspension parts), I'll go with Koni. Btw, I heard about the high fail rate of bilstein sports (rear) lately and I'm assuming it was a bad batch that has since been taken care of, but i realize you're still rolling the dice.

thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think Kubica has the Eibach and Bilstein HD set up.....I have the H&R springs and Bilstein HD, I'm not unhappy with the set up but the people in the back seat get a kick out of bouncing! HA!

$412 for shocks AND struts? Good deal if so.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One year and I had to change them. Mind bad roads in my City/Country.
the roads here in NYC are probably not any better than what you have in the Ukraine :( so did you find the bilstein/eibach too harsh and uncomfortable or did they cause damage to your other suspension components, or both?

what did you end up changing to?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
well i dont have a xi but i have a 330ci with the eibach bilstein setup and theres.. eibach prokit and bilsstein sports and the ride is just like stock with a little better handling wonderfull ride zero complaints and really dosent lower the car at all but thats a non xi ... just chiming in

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
I think Kubica has the Eibach and Bilstein HD set up.....I have the H&R springs and Bilstein HD, I'm not unhappy with the set up but the people in the back seat get a kick out of bouncing! HA!

$412 for shocks AND struts? Good deal if so.
I'm Bilstein HD with stock springs right now. . . I haven't tried the eibach/HD setup, but I've been meaning to.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have Bilstein HD and Eibach setup. I would not ride with 17 inch wheels in NYC with this setup. 16 inch is acceptable.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I've got Bilstein sports with Eibach springs on my 325xi. The ride firmed up nicely, but you will notice a little bit harsher ride, especially on winter roads. Its by no means terrible. The car is much better in corners, especially on/off ramps. Here's how the car sits now, about where a normal 325i does.

·
Registered
79 Posts
the roads here in NYC are probably not any better than what you have in the Ukraine :( so did you find the bilstein/eibach too harsh and uncomfortable or did they cause damage to your other suspension components, or both?

what did you end up changing to?
Handling was perfect, they were much more stiffer than stocks are ;-) Shocks were damaged and they totally broked my rear shock bushing. I left Eibach and put OEM shocks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got Bilstein sports with Eibach springs on my 325xi. The ride firmed up nicely, but you will notice a little bit harsher ride, especially on winter roads. Its by no means terrible. The car is much better in corners, especially on/off ramps. Here's how the car sits now, about where a normal 325i does.
LittleChrist, If it lowers the car to regular "i" height, that would be perfect for me. Sounds like its not unbearably harsh like a lot of guys with the H&R/bilstein setups seem to complain about. Any issues at all with your CV joints/boots, etc.? What size wheels are you running?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have Bilstien HD's and Eibach's, and I fucking hate it. My buddy with a MKIV Jetta that is absolutely slammed on coil-overs rides better than my hunk o Sh**.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have Bilstien HD's and Eibach's, and I fucking hate it. My buddy with a MKIV Jetta that is absolutely slammed on coil-overs rides better than my hunk o Sh**.
if it's that bad with HD's, i'm assuming it would be worse with sports. wish i could afford coilovers..

·
Registered
39 Posts
just had this setup installed today.

i didnt want "coffee-spillin" rigid H&R in my daily driver but heard that the "softer" Eibach springs were more likely to bottom out so i coupled them w/ the greater damping of the Bilstein Sport's.... does not feel over-damped.

the ride is comfy (close to stock) and handles on rails (body roll drastically reduced)

i used 5mm spring pads in the rear and lowering perches from Supremen in the front. result is 2finger gap in front, 1 finger in rear; before settling...

very happy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
just had this setup installed today.

i didnt want "coffee-spillin" rigid H&R in my daily driver but heard that the "softer" Eibach springs were more likely to bottom out so i coupled them w/ the greater damping of the Bilstein Sport's.... does not feel over-damped.

the ride is comfy (close to stock) and handles on rails (body roll drastically reduced)

i used 5mm spring pads in the rear and lowering perches from Supremen in the front. result is 2finger gap in front, 1 finger in rear; before settling...

very happy.
that's great to hear :thumbup:, sounds like it's definitely stiffer than stock but still comfortable. was also considering HD's or koni sports with the eibachs, but the bilstein sports seem to be a good compromise between the two.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts