E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
1.888.JLEVISW
13,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I think I screwed something up. This problem started just yesterday...
-My car won't respond to my keys. I try locking, unlocking, popping the trunk... nothing happens. The keys start the car but that's it. I've tried 2 keys.
-The car beeps when the door is open... with the key out
-If I put the key in and leave the door open... it doesn't beep.

I think all this is caused by the car not understanding when the key is in or out... I don't know what to do... Any suggestions?

Also... my mirror controls are plugged in, but don't work. The heated mirrors work. Why doesn't the mirror control work? Do these switches tend to go bad like the window regulators, or what?

Thanks in advance!
JL

·
1.888.JLEVISW
13,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help :)
-Fuses are fine
-I think it is the ignition, because the key is heating up a LOT when I insert it... must be a short. Does your key heat up a lot?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Try getting in the car and doing the following:

1. All doors closed
2. All keys you want to program present. If you do one, you'll need to the others as well.

Using any of the 3 keys :

3. Insert key into ignition and turn key from the off position to position 2, 3 times @ 1 sec intervals (or 5 times, can't recall)
- each time you turn to position 2 the OBC will come on
4. Immediately press and hold the UNLOCK button and then press the ROUNDEL button 3 times and then let go of the UNLOCK button
5. Repeat step 4 for each key
- after step 3 you have @ 30 seconds to program all keys

·
Registered
279 Posts
Jlevi SW said:
Thanks for your help :)
-Fuses are fine
-I think it is the ignition, because the key is heating up a LOT when I insert it... must be a short. Does your key heat up a lot?
The key has an internal battery which recharges by induction while the key is in the ignition. Perhaps the battery inside the key has an internal short and is overheating while attempting to take a charge? That would account for the key not holding a charge and for the key heating up excessively.

Unfortunately there's no easy fix if that's the case other than getting a replacement key from the stealership. I've seen some posts from people on here who were able to open up the head of the key, but I gather that that's not a fix to be performed lightly.

·
Registered
0 Posts
bikergeek said:
The key has an internal battery which recharges by induction while the key is in the ignition. Perhaps the battery inside the key has an internal short and is overheating while attempting to take a charge? That would account for the key not holding a charge and for the key heating up excessively.

Unfortunately there's no easy fix if that's the case other than getting a replacement key from the stealership. I've seen some posts from people on here who were able to open up the head of the key, but I gather that that's not a fix to be performed lightly.

This all depends on the year car.

I have a 99 and my key gets hot as well. The old keys like those from the 99s have a regular battery which can be changed. The newer ones are the ones that charge themselves.

Hope reprogramming works for you. If it does I am always looking for a sponsor :thumbup:

·
1.888.JLEVISW
13,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tried to reset the keys, it didn't work. Now my problem is worse - Even when I unplug the battery and replug... neither of the keys work....

JL

·
Banned
5,686 Posts
Jon I had a similair problem like yours. 1 day out of no where my key stopped responding but it would only start the car. I used my other key and luckly it worked. Now since both of yours dont work, its a little wierd BUT heres my reasoning why I think you have 2 bad keys.

1. one key was (barely used) or (kept in the house and never used) so the result is dead battery in a key.
2. One key stopped working, so when you went to use the other key its also not working because its dead.
---------------------------------
Your car starts fine with the keys correct? If so then its a remote problem not the key or ignition.

EDIT: I dont know why its beeping with the key off?

·
1.888.JLEVISW
13,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Exactly... I think I have much larger issues. My mirrors don't work either. And they worked until I took off the door panel last time :rofl:
JL

·
1.888.JLEVISW
13,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will have to take it off and try again. I checked all the connections... nothing works, but oddly enough... the heat on the mirrors is still there.....
JL

1 - 20 of 49 Posts