E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
www.piratecove.org
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after searching the forums for awhile, i wanted to know if anyone successfuly got a set of bi-xenons working in a 2000 3 series. I thought I saw someone get some but I didnt see how that turned out.

I'd really like to replace mine and if i'm going to upgrade I may as well skip the xenons and go all the way to the bi's if it isnt that much of a hassle to install them. I'd like the auto leveling but I do know that its not required if I'm installing them myself. If its a pain to install them (auto leveling or not) on a 2000 then I'll just get the xenons and 20 mins later have them installed no problem.

any suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hmm, I was wondering about the same thing. I've emailed a couple of places that were selling them. And cutter was the only one that replied back with something that made sense. THere it is.

Good afternoon Jim,

Sorry for the inconvince, I work on your question about the bi-xenon/xenon lights. I was told by one of the techs that you could buy the bi-xenon lights and they would fit. But he said it wouldn't be bright at night. If you want to convert it, you would have to change a lot of wiring. If you have any further questions, please e-mail back. Thank you or your time.

Thank you
Soon
Soon,
Cutter BMW

:cry: Too bad....It would've been nice if I had those. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I saw a retro-fit kit on the ETK when using a european configuration not under US.

If I get time, I will look up part numbers for retro-fit kit for bi-xenons. However I don't know if it will work for < 2000 maybe > 2000 cars only.

·
www.piratecove.org
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah from what I was seeing bi's look like they have been working on 2001+

If you find something thats great if not, SmoKeNfLY, looks like he checked into it as well. All the better though in the end I guess, the bi's cost like 2.5x more then regular ones.

*continues to make list of mods he'd like to do*

·
Registered
753 Posts
And if you do decide to buy a pair of either bi/xenons. Better make sure it's a OEM. Just read the following email from bmw USA again.

If the BMW center did not sell the headlights to you, they will not install the parts. It could also potentially void your warranty if these are not BMW parts.

Sincerely,

Amber Wood
BMW Customer Relations

:banghead: :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
130 Posts
hey guys, who told u that it wont be bright?? i just installed my bixenons the other day. ill have pics up for u if u want. i just dont have the function of the bi part i guess but other than that everything else worked fine.
joe

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was wondering, if you bought 2002+ bi-xenon lights, how would you fit them on a < 2002 sedan?

Could you change the trim and they would fit?

I suppose it would be easier to retrofit regular xenons onto a 2002+? Anyone know?

·
www.piratecove.org
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
joe323ci said:
hey guys, who told u that it wont be bright?? i just installed my bixenons the other day. ill have pics up for u if u want. i just dont have the function of the bi part i guess but other than that everything else worked fine.
joe
if you dont have the bi part working then why pay the extra for bi's?

yeah if you can/want to post pics that would be good to see
thx

·
Registered
753 Posts
frogg said:
I was wondering, if you bought 2002+ bi-xenon lights, how would you fit them on a < 2002 sedan?

Could you change the trim and they would fit?

I suppose it would be easier to retrofit regular xenons onto a 2002+? Anyone know?
I was talking to a tech at bmw today. He said that a year 2001 sedan xenon would also fit on some year 1999 to year 2000 sedans. They didn't have bi-xenons for the 1999-2001 model of the sedans. As I remember, they haven't made bi-xenons for the older gen e46s. They started using bi-xenons at 2002 I think. But I got that answer from cutter moters. You can ask around, because they're pretty reputable around here. But then again, I and they might be wrong. All the power to you if it works. As for me, I'm just getting regular xenons and some angel eyes for my car. And the tech said that aftermarket xenons are actually easier to install then the OEM xenons. He said that I can probably do it myself. But I rather have someone professonaly installed.

LIke crtaltdel, why would you pay extra money for a bi, when it doesn't work like a bi. Then wouldn't that be just reg. xenons? :dunno:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Does anyone have regular xenons that could tell me what the connectors to the ballasts look like?

On the bi-xenons there are 3 plugs;
One for the daylight running lights,
One for the ballast, and
One for the Auto-Leveling / High-Beam trigger (not sure).

What about the regular xenons? How many plugs are there and how many pins do each of the plugs have?

·
Registered
130 Posts
CtrlAltDel said:

if you dont have the bi part working then why pay the extra for bi's?

yeah if you can/want to post pics that would be good to see
thx
CTRL i got a really good deal on them thats all. i only paid 430 for the set. so either wait for regular xenons or just get these bi xenons. i opted for the cheaper price :thumbup:

·
Registered
753 Posts
You got the set of bi-xenons for only 400? that's a damn good deal. Want to share your source? Heh:D

·
www.piratecove.org
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
how about those pics of how you put them in. it would be interesting to see how it went.

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,505 Posts
srcstc did it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts