BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My passenger side Bi-Xenon died a few weeks ago. I took it to the dealership and they diagnosed it as a bad control unit ($570.00 plus labor). I went home and removed the control unit to find it full of water and completely fried (not sure how that would have happened, but I am over 50k miles and BMW won't cover it). I'm wondering what other options I have other than ordering the control unit from the dealership. I have noticed that there are a few Ebay auctions selling xenon ballasts, but they are not listed as BMW specific parts (ex. Xenon Ballast - BMW, Audi, Lexus). Will one of these work as a plug and play, perfect fit replacement without any rigging, tweaking, or modification? Any ideas would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

:)

P.s. I have to fix this soon as I was pulled over for having a headlight out and the cops gave me 14 days to fix it before they send me a ticket for $160.00.

·
Banned
2,568 Posts
If there is any way you can proof that the CAUSE of the malfunction occured prior to hitting 50,000?

If so, I am sure this will qualify you to get warranty for that item,

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it would be great if I could have this taken care of under warranty. Unfortanetly, the car did not come with Bi-Xenon headlights from the factory (I retrofitted them myself), so even if I was still under 50k, I'm sure they would give me a hard time with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The standard ignitor will not work with a BiXenon system. You will not have control of the shutter mechanism. The hella ignitor/ ballast is not the same as the OEM lamp components made by Bosch. Bosch made all 3 series lamps. Hella made all 5 series lamps.
Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
The standard ballast will not work with a bixenon system. The standard unit has no ability to control the lamp shutter. The bi xenon ballast can receive a signal from the lamp switch to energize the bi xenon system. If the connections are not completed you will have a lamp fault light lit in your instrument panel. This fault cannot be programmed out by the MODIC unit at your dealer.

·
Registered
701 Posts
topaz328ci said:
Hello. My passenger side Bi-Xenon died a few weeks ago. I took it to the dealership and they diagnosed it as a bad control unit ($570.00 plus labor). I went home and removed the control unit to find it full of water and completely fried (not sure how that would have happened, but I am over 50k miles and BMW won't cover it). I'm wondering what other options I have other than ordering the control unit from the dealership. I have noticed that there are a few Ebay auctions selling xenon ballasts, but they are not listed as BMW specific parts (ex. Xenon Ballast - BMW, Audi, Lexus). Will one of these work as a plug and play, perfect fit replacement without any rigging, tweaking, or modification? Any ideas would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

:)

P.s. I have to fix this soon as I was pulled over for having a headlight out and the cops gave me 14 days to fix it before they send me a ticket for $160.00.

I had the same problem, I took it apart and put it in front of a fan over night and have not had a problem with it in over six months.

How do you know it is fried? Mine got wet from cleaning the engine compartment while I was replacing the thermostat and waterpump. Did you recently soak the engine compartment?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts