BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
First 19" ZHP
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i have a facelifted sedan do i have to buy bi-xenons or can i buy regualr xenons and put my plastic cover from my halogen headlights over them so my corners fit right

·
Help me Help you!
957 Posts
nikemykee said:
if i have a facelifted sedan do i have to buy bi-xenons or can i buy regualr xenons and put my plastic cover from my halogen headlights over them so my corners fit right
regular xenons? are you referring to the aftermarket ones
from hid4less & etc?
I would rather get the oem one, they look much better and fit your car IMO.

·
First 19" ZHP
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no im referring to the 1999-01 version which are the regualr xenon headunits not the bi-xenon

·
Help me Help you!
957 Posts
I dont know how difficult it is to remove the internals of the housing. Although most likely u will not be able to use the bixenon part unless u have the wiring harness to activate the hi beam flap anyways.
I would just get the bixenons housing kit because u know it will fit your car with minor adjustments.

good luck

·
First 19" ZHP
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what do mean by minor adjustments i thought it was plug n play

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
if u get the OEM bi xenon, you need to buy the wiring for it. Bekkers sells the parts.

BTW: where are you getting them from?
Im looking for a pair myself.

·
First 19" ZHP
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im still searching for a pair ill let you know when i find some but what do you mean i have to buy extra wires for the OEM i thought you just buy the headunit and its direct plug n play can you show me the wires you are talking about

·
Help me Help you!
957 Posts
Well u would have to cut off a piece of the headlight bracket in your car in order to fit the housing kit. The reason is the housing kit with the xenons also contains the xenon ballast.
The regular halogen bracket cannot hold the housing kit with the ballast unless u cut off a portion of the bottom piece in the bracket and it should fit fine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If this is any help, i have a coupe tho, but the car came with regular halogens, so i upgraded to to OEM xenons from the dealer, costed me about 1100 total, not sure if that was too much or ok but it was well worth the price once i got it installed. Took me about 30 mins to get it on since i'm a newbie with bimmers. And yes it is plug and play but the only thing u need to do after that is i believe flash the computer so the car recognizes that it has xenon headlights or a light will come up on the dash. I'm sure the 4drs works the same way as i did a search on the forums before i purchased them. Mines were regular xenons not bi-xenons btw. Good luck to ya!

·
First 19" ZHP
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh so if i buy oem bi-xenons i would just pull out my whole halogen unit and pop in the xenon one without any cutting

·
Registered
30 Posts
yep, thats it, all you have to do is pull out your old halogen unit and replace it with the bi-xenons you bought, no need to cut anything out of the way, but as for the bi xenon feature, i'm not sure if it will work right away or you have to bring it to the dealer to get it programmed in.

·
First 19" ZHP
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i havent bought one yet ill let you know when i find one for a good price

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nikemykee

Your car will house the Xenons without any problem, direct swap...

I just did an upgrade on my 1999 323I SE Sedan, halogens to Bi-Xenons as I got them cheap...The Bi-Xenon feature only works on cars 2002 and upwards as pre-facelift cars are not pre-wired.

On older cars you have to connect one wire from the Bi-Xenon High Beam connector to the inside Halogen High Beam. This makes the Xenon Hi Beam and the Halogen High Beam come on together.

I got my Bi-Xenons of a 2002 330CI and have had problems with the indicators not fitting correctly as I have a pre-facelit.

I see from your pictures you have the curved indicators so you should have no problems. No cutting is required.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Tich.

Let me know how you get on! :thumbup:

·
Banned
2,056 Posts
I dont know how difficult it is to remove the internals of the housing.
I removed the internals of a salvage set of bi-xenons (the housings were cracked and missing tabs but the projector lens, ballast, et cetera were mint) into a set of halogen housings. It took a couple hours of work but mine work fine. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts