BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wiring in my passenger headlight is shorted some where. All components have tested good the ballast, igniter, bulb and control module. Have swapped the headlights around and the parts. it***8217;s a short in the wiring from the ignitor wiring being broken so the headlight must be replaced. These headlights are very hard to come by used and I would like to replace them with a non xenon halogen model on both sides to make the cars lightning more reliable. Both lights are identical minus the ballast and control module on the bottom.

Three questions
1 Can the inside daytime running lights on the adaptive xenon be turned on like the sedans.

2 will the new halogen models need to be coded in?

3 if I order a used adaptive xenon from eBay will it be plug and play or will it need codes in?

All connections are the same for both headlights the non xenon are simply blacked out where the ballast connections would be. I***8217;ve included pictures.

Thanks for reading!

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 325Ci M56 5MT
972 Posts
I have FL coupe that does not have adaptive xenons

1. Yes Daytime running lights work, they use the high beams, needs to be coded in

2. Yes the LCM needs to be coded for halogen

3. Should be plug and play, but be wary of it, as the problem youre having is probably with the wiring insulation breaking apart and shorting out internally. Used ones may eventually develop the same problem you are having now. its common problem, especially with adaptive headlights since they actually move.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You CAN fix the wiring inside of the headlight. I've done it several times. Solder and shrink-tube it, and it should be fine.

BMW used biodegradable insulation, which becomes brittle over time. if you replace a bulb, or just via the motion of the adaptive lights, a wire can break.

Remove the light, take your time, and you can repair it successfully.

·
Registered
111 Posts
+1 on the repair method with solder and shrink tubing, I've done the same thing several times also. I did it with the headlight installed in the car though and the last time i replaced a 6 inch section with a new piece of wire.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You CAN fix the wiring inside of the headlight. I've done it several times. Solder and shrink-tube it, and it should be fine.

BMW used biodegradable insulation, which becomes brittle over time. if you replace a bulb, or just via the motion of the adaptive lights, a wire can break.

Remove the light, take your time, and you can repair it successfully.
You probably will have to replace all wiring as insulation is definitely brittle and flaking. But it is worth is as you get properly working original adaptive xenon and it gives better light than any halogen, plus you will have to replace xenon reflectors for halogen ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts