E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Im The Man
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a recording of my bfp intake. I think the audio is more clear than the gruppe m vid cause I thought that one was emphasizing a lot of bass and muddying the sound.

sound clip

·
Registered
273 Posts
Its good,,,,,, but not as good as the gruppeM

·
Im The Man
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BMWERKEN said:

Agreed...I liked Droptop's sound...the BFP had it a bit, but there was this distinct sound, like doooof or I dunno how to describe it but it's sick!

I don't like droptops audio quality. Its way too colored for correct judgement. :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
My custom intake got as good of a sound as the GruppeM

The difference in sound is from the fact that you are comparing a short ram intake to a cold air intake. The short intake has a shorter sound path and it puts sound into the engine bay and will always sound beefier. The CAI puts sound down toward the ground and you only get the resonant sound off the tube in the engine bay.

Listen to the sound of my short ram intake from within the car. You'd swear I had a V8.

Custom Intake to compare with GruppeM and Benfer

The little click you hear is my turn signal. I didnt feel like editing for such a small sound clip.

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,172 Posts
MCD 007, Your sound clips sound good but what happen in the begining when you started the car? Mine don't do that. I have 2000 323i and had my Benfer on since the group buy and I still love the sound and performance for that price.

Here are my sound clips again

Benfer CAI hood open

Benfer CAI hood close

Let me know if this sound different then yours. By the way I only have CAI no other performance stuff yet :sad:

But glad you like it. Steve will be coming out with a one piece very soon :D

·
E46Fanatic
3,060 Posts
damn, that sounds good.

i just installed mine yesterday. the install wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. i didn't remove the bumper. took me about 2 hours to install. overall i'd have to say that i'm not impressed w/ the way the intake looks and how i had to move the bi-xenon ballast, but this thing gives a real nice kick. i definitely feel a difference off the line and at around 3k and plus, the sound on the intake really comes alive. i usually cruise at around 3500rpms and man this thing makes my car sound good. driving up high in the rpms sounds great too. before, the car sounded whiney like it was struggling at really wanted to be shifted, but now it sounds health and aggressive as hell. i was hoping it would be alittle louder, but overall it's a great performing product.

·
4,172 Posts
StreetTrixE4six glad you got it on with out taking the bumper off. About the look you can always upgrade to the one piece later :D Hey did you get my PM? Just IM me on AOL ok. I forgot your screen name:banghead:

·
Im The Man
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MCD 007, Your sound clips sound good but what happen in the begining when you started the car?
What u mean? yea i have had this since the group buy too. My mic was about 5-6 feet away from the car. How far was yours?

·
4,172 Posts
I guess i heard your engine hesitate or somthing, when you started your car. My mic was closer about 3 feet away. Do you think you will upgrade to the one piece later?

·
Im The Man
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 pc most likely not since i dont think itll gain that much. I was hoping to ask steve if he might design a heat shield for the piping in the engine cus after like close to 2hrs on freeway the pipe is really hot.

I might take so new recordings if anyone one is interested... maybe some while going through a tunnel. :D

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
MCD007 said:

I don't like droptops audio quality. Its way too colored for correct judgement. :banghead: :banghead:

I had the highest settings and quality for that video, thats why it was 9MB for only 35second video

And to be honest, it sounds way better in person, you can ask anyone who owns one..... the Benfer sounds good for the price though, you can't go wrong if your on a budget

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Has anyone tried taking the benfer, removing the middle section of the intake and attaching the filter to the first part? Might try it as an experiment when i got time :)

·
www.xeetstreetband.com
725 Posts
Coloration isn't necessarily caused by compression; it can be caused by anything in the audio chain (i.e. mic placement, environment, microphone itself, mic pre amp, signal convertors, etc.) There is a reason why people pay big bucks for the cleanest most prestine sounding audio equipment; you are likely not to get uncolored audio from a camcorder... Plus, I'm sure both intakes sound way better in person.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts