E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
TWC Alumni
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running Amsoil series 2000 0w-30 oil in my car. One thing i noticed with my engine is that with Mobil1 5w-30 and the Amsoil, the engine seems to run alittle more noisy during start up. You hear more ticking and mechanical noises especially during cold morning starts. Once it warms up the noise is gone. I noticed with thicker weight oils, the engine seems to be more quiet. Whats a general good weight to run in the winter/summer for bmw's I6 ? I'm want only the best stuff for my engine especially with the supercharger. I might try Redline or the Amsoil new european formula 5w-40. Any experts in here?

Alan

·
Registered
839 Posts
Subscribing ...

·
TWC Alumni
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another question.

Which brand of motor oil is better? Amsoil or Redline (anything else better?)

Seems like more race teams use Redline but i've also heard there oil doesn't contain detergents needed for every day driving and extended drain intervals. Amsoil claims their top of the line Series 2000 oil can last up to 25K (obviously i won't want that long. 5-7K at most) and that there addictive package is the best for engine wear. I want this motor to last a very long time.

Share your thoughts and experiences

Alan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alan L. said:
Amsoil claims their top of the line Series 2000 oil can last up to 25K (obviously i won't want that long. 5-7K at most)
I've seen the same claim, but also you will def need a new filter well before then.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not to sound rude, but do a search on the subject and you will get plenty that has already been written on the subject.

But remember this, BMW oil, is 5W30...just the facts :thumbup:

·
TWC Alumni
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I've read all oil topic related post on this forum but as time goes by, people will formulate a different opinion on different oils they've tried hence a reason for a new post. Especially when you have new oils and studies come out periodically. Also, as the E46 ages, we're going to have more high mileage engines show up and I'd like to hear from these owners about their experiences as well.

Alan

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
i did a search 2 weeks back when i needed to do an oil change, it seems like a lot of people on the board use mobil 1 0w-40 so i gave it a try, the car is running pretty smoothly so far

·
Registered
885 Posts
i read some where that mobil 1 and castrol syntech are synthetic blend, not full synthetics like Amsoil and Redline!!!

·
Registered
839 Posts
What about Royal Purple ... I hear lots of good things about them ??

·
Banned
7,997 Posts
There is no "best weight", it depends what kind of climate you live in.

I myself use Amsoil 5W-30(I beleive), truthfully it doesnt matter THAT much as long as you stay around 5W-30.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
BET325 said:
i read some where that mobil 1 and castrol syntech are synthetic blend, not full synthetics like Amsoil and Redline!!!
i was also told that as well, when i had my turbo integra my mechanic convinced me to use amsoil, he also showed me some kind of brochure showing other oils and the percent of synthetic oil that is actually in them (not sure if that makes sense because i dont know much about oil)

·
Registered
607 Posts
Mobil 1 is a full synthetic, Syntech is not. Try this site www.bobistheoilguy.com for any info on oil. My friend who races motorcycles for a living turned me on to this site. Way more info than I can understand. I personally run Mobil 1 0-30 for 5K with a new filter each time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
As the previous poster stated, spend some time on Bobistheoilguy.com. Mobil 1 is a Group IV PAO synthetic (as is amsoil). Castrol Syntec (with the exception of the the 0w-30 that is made in Germany, is a Group III Hydrocracked oil). BMW, 5w-30 is a Castrol TXT with a different additive package and is also a Group III hydrocracked oil.

As far as weight, Mobil 1 0w-40 meets the needs for all climates. It is important to use an oil that meets ACEA A3 specs and/or BMW LL-98/LL-01. Most of these oils are 40 weights, but the heavier 30 weights (i.e. BMW "synthetic" oil, Castrol Syntec 0w-30 made in Germany) will often meet the spec. They will be clearly labled on the back to the bottle as meeting these specs (including the BMW Branded oil).

It is important to note that Mobil 1 0w-30, 5w-30 and 10w-30 DO NOT MEET ACEA A3 or BMW LL-98/LL-01. This is because they are lighter 30 weight oils that do not have an HTHS of 3.5 or greater, a primary requirement to meet the above A3 requirements.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I agree with vaio and cary-stick with whatever BMW recommends but bear in mind that Mobil 1 0W40 is
has both a higher and a lower range of temperature protection
(0 component allows easier Winter starts, while 40 component gives higher temperature protection in Summer). If your normal operating temperature in Summer is higher now than in your pre-blower days then
0W40 may be better for you?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Liscia said:
....but whatever oil you use should be changed often and early and always with a fresh filter!
Not necessarly. If you monitor the wear numbers, what you find is that fresh oil has relatively high wear during the first few thousand miles of use, and the amount of wear per 1000 miles, drops as the oil ages, up to the point where the additive package gives out and wear spikes heavily. It is still better to change earlier than later, but changing at 3000 miles with a synthetic is a waste of time and money.

My recommendations from seeing quite a few Used oil analysis of late model BMW 6 cylinders is to change once in the middle of the the oil service interval (approximately 7500 miles). Also, the Mobil 1 0w-40 oil is a bit more robust than the BMW synthetic and can go a bit longer. If you drive nothing but long trips on the freeway, you could follow the service indicators and do your oil changes at 12-15k miles without trouble. Any other type of driving (stop and go, city driving, short trips, cold temps, etc) and the 7.5k mile interval is more prudent.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I should have said, I agree, always change the filter with the oil. Its like taking a shower and putting on your dirty clothes to change the oil and not he filter. Also, if you don't, you leave a quart or so of old oil and particulates in the engine.

·
TWC Alumni
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was hoping you'd chime in cary1 :)

I heard the rumor about doing excessive oil changes actually hurting the engine. I always thought it was just a myth. Is there significant proof to this? I don't understand how fresh oil could cause excess wear on parts.

Amsoil claims their series 2000 oil can last up to 25K. I ran it in my car for about 6K and it was pretty black. I even changed the oil filter at 3K with a new one. Does the color of the oil really tell you the condition that its in or it doesn't really matter?

Alan

1 - 20 of 35 Posts