E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
1.888.JLEVISW
Joined
·
28,973 Posts
Although they are rather expensive, I have been very happy with my SO3's. They are very sticky for the dry and provide awsome wet traction. I really couldnt be happier. I use SO3's on my everyday BBS rims and also on my Stock wheels for autox, to show you how much I like em :thumbup:

Also try this in the Wheel and Tire forum ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
SO-3 225/40/18 = $195/ea thats insane! And if most people on tirerack only expect to get 10-15k out of them.. i'm afraid I'd never buy them for that price and that range of durability.

now if you want tires that will LAST and are cheap (note the sarcasm), Check these puppies out

Pirelli PZero Corsa's
225/40/YR18's are only $229/ea and treadware is rated at a WHOPPING.. 60!
lol (they're competition tires) supposedly really good for track days/autoX
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R&vehicleSearch=true&index=0&fromCompare1=yes
They look like motorcycle tires by the tread design
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,108 Posts
i like my sumitomo treads. they are cheap, i paid not too much over $100 per tire for my 235/40/18 that i just put on my rears last year, and they last about 20k miles (that's about what's on my fronts with decent tread left) and i just changed out my rears. but like i said, they are really inexpensive and i still pulled a 1.03g i think it was according to my passport ripping around this cloverleaf where i live, so they stick really well too......the SO3 are terrible in my opinion. they are sticky, sure, but they don't last for sh!t. my dad has them on his s2000, they run about 4500 miles on those cars and they are shot. no way in hell you will get 10K out of those, that would be dreamin.......my dad isn't exactly a spirited driver you know..... :rolleyes: just my O2.
 

·
Lying, drunken cheat
Joined
·
4,290 Posts
Falken Azenis and Kumho MX are very good performance tires for the money. The Falkens in particular are great for autox because they use an excellent compound. They are not, however, particularly great in the rain because of poor water evacuation. As such, you risk hydroplaning if you drive too fast.

The S03's offer the best of both worlds, but are expensive, heavy, and wear out fairly quickly. If you drive as much as I do, they're not a good choice for those reasons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
cls1000 said:
i like my sumitomo treads. they are cheap, i paid not too much over $100 per tire for my 235/40/18 that i just put on my rears last year, and they last about 20k miles (that's about what's on my fronts with decent tread left) and i just changed out my rears. but like i said, they are really inexpensive and i still pulled a 1.03g i think it was according to my passport ripping around this cloverleaf where i live, so they stick really well too......the SO3 are terrible in my opinion. they are sticky, sure, but they don't last for sh!t. my dad has them on his s2000, they run about 4500 miles on those cars and they are shot. no way in hell you will get 10K out of those, that would be dreamin.......my dad isn't exactly a spirited driver you know..... :rolleyes: just my O2.

Dude, I think you dad needs to check his alignment settings. Cause I have about 8k miles on my S03's as well as 6 track days and they are just getting close to the wear bars. I figure they would have lasted 15k without the track days. Yeah they are pricey, but the performance is awesome. wet or dry. The only street tire that will give them a run for their money is maybe the new michelin pilot. I have heard some decent reviews on them so we'll see. If you want cheap, the Yoko ES100's are decent handling. I have them on the other car and they ride well. S03 is deffinetly better though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,108 Posts
therealm3 said:
Dude, I think you dad needs to check his alignment settings. Cause I have about 8k miles on my S03's as well as 6 track days and they are just getting close to the wear bars. I figure they would have lasted 15k without the track days. Yeah they are pricey, but the performance is awesome. wet or dry. The only street tire that will give them a run for their money is maybe the new michelin pilot. I have heard some decent reviews on them so we'll see. If you want cheap, the Yoko ES100's are decent handling. I have them on the other car and they ride well. S03 is deffinetly better though.

lol, well your pretty damn lucky then. talking with many others on S2Ki that's pretty normal for those tires on those cars. i have a guy with an S that comes into my store as well running SO3's. we were talking about the wear on those and he get's 5K max out of his too. now the SO2 will last longer i imagine. the tires wear evenly, so it's no alignment or inflation issue, they just don't seem to last.......they are fun to drive on though. i like how when heated they pick up all the little stones off the road, you can hear them tinging in the wheel wells. reminds me of driving my 5.0 on the street with the M/T slicks on :eeps:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
cls1000 said:
lol, well your pretty damn lucky then. talking with many others on S2Ki that's pretty normal for those tires on those cars. i have a guy with an S that comes into my store as well running SO3's. we were talking about the wear on those and he get's 5K max out of his too. now the SO2 will last longer i imagine. the tires wear evenly, so it's no alignment or inflation issue, they just don't seem to last.......they are fun to drive on though. i like how when heated they pick up all the little stones off the road, you can hear them tinging in the wheel wells. reminds me of driving my 5.0 on the street with the M/T slicks on :eeps:

Interesting... maybe the tire pressures need to be messed with a bit? Dunno?

:) I agree though on how soft they are... You should see how many marbles (bits of rubber off the race line for the newbs) I pick up at the track. Hilarious. I am amazed they dont vibrate or feel out of round like that. It's kind of like adding tread back. ;) well for a few hundred miles or so till they wear off.

You can still get S02's? I thought Bridgestone discountinued them? Man, my favorite tire before the S03 was the Yoko AVS Int. those things kicked ass at the track and in the dry. Sadly they were put to pasture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
iluvbimmers said:
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Thanks. Its been my baby for 5 years. Awesome track car, but not for the faint of heart or pocket book though. Maintenance is $$$$ and parts are getting harder to come by. Plus the motor was $7k to rebuild and I did a lot of the grunt work myself. E46 is a Cadillac compared to it. :)
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top