E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I searched for this on the forums too, but everyone seems split.. I want to get tires that I can get rotated. I am going to buy 18 x 8.5 (40 offset) rims. What would be the best looking tires for a set up in which I can get the tires rotated? I also don't want any tire rubbing on a stock setup, with no fender rolling.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
So I searched for this on the forums too, but everyone seems split.. I want to get tires that I can get rotated. I am going to buy 18 x 8.5 (40 offset) rims. What would be the best looking tires for a set up in which I can get the tires rotated? I also don't want any tire rubbing on a stock setup, with no fender rolling.
You have 3 good tire size choices for a square 18" setup:

1) 225/40-18

2) 235/40-18

3) 245/35-18

One & three will typically be the lightest, light is good. Look up these tire sizes on forum sponsor Tire Rack.

Rob43

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
I have used all of those sizes and they all work well. They should not rub at all, and you may even be able to use wheel spacers after seeing how much room you have left to get them as flush as you like with the fenders. I am currently running the 235/40-18 setup for some more pothole protection of my rims. They are a tiny bit larger, but it's not really noticeable, and I haven't had a bent rim since switching to this size. I run them on all four corners as well.

Also. Do you want all-seasons for everyday driving or some aggressive summer street tires...or something in the middle? Many things to consider. Continental makes some damn good tires in my opinion though. Cant go wrong with the DWS or DW depending on what your looking for.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have used all of those sizes and they all work well. They should not rub at all, and you may even be able to use wheel spacers after seeing how much room you have left to get them as flush as you like with the fenders. I am currently running the 235/40-18 setup for some more pothole protection of my rims. They are a tiny bit larger, but it's not really noticeable, and I haven't had a bent rim since switching to this size. I run them on all four corners as well.

Also. Do you want all-seasons for everyday driving or some aggressive summer street tires...or something in the middle? Many things to consider. Continental makes some damn good tires in my opinion though. Cant go wrong with the DWS or DW depending on what your looking for.
Very honestly speaking? Literally the cheapest tire at the moment. I'm buying rims and my dad's paying for the tires. Don't want him to go all out and get some Continentals or Pirellis. I'll probably just get all seasons. I'm not TOO much of an aggressive driver, my E46 has 150k on it. I drive mostly sensibly, apart from the few drag races I do with friends ;)
The ones I've been looking at are 235/40/18, from some weird brand named Nankang. They're literally just $70 a piece. They seem like decent products, I think 40k mile warranty. Sounds good enough to me :/

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have 3 good tire size choices for a square 18" setup:

1) 225/40-18

2) 235/40-18

3) 245/35-18

One & three will typically be the lightest, light is good. Look up these tire sizes on forum sponsor Tire Rack.

Rob43
I think I'm going for the 235/40/18 set up. How is that heavier than the 245s lol
That literally makes no sense to me. I'm worried that the 245s will rub in the front.. Also, the 245s are much higher priced compared to 235s. I'll have an update as to what I do and which ones I go with :)

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
I think I'm going for the 235/40/18 set up. How is that heavier than the 245s lol
That literally makes no sense to me. I'm worried that the 245s will rub in the front.. Also, the 245s are much higher priced compared to 235s. I'll have an update as to what I do and which ones I go with :)
There's a reason the 245's are lighter in this situation, I'm going to let you learn this stuff so you understand it.

BTW, 245's won't rub in the front with the wheels you have listed.

Rob43

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a reason the 245's are lighter in this situation, I'm going to let you learn this stuff so you understand it.

BTW, 245's won't rub in the front with the wheels you have listed.

Rob43
Thanks friend! I'll be spending quite a bit of my time on the forums now.. I wanna go hella deep in my customization.

·
:D
7,622 Posts
If you're looking for summers the Bridgestone potenza re 760s are fantastic and probably the best tire for the money.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're looking for summers the Bridgestone potenza re 760s are fantastic and probably the best tire for the money.
I meant to ask best size, not the best overall tire. I actually want something cheap as shit lol

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,101 Posts
On the inexpensive end of the spectrum, I'll only tell you to avoid Sumitomo HTRZ-II like the plague that they are. Absolutely the WORST tire I've ever driven on. Horrible tire. I've had a lot of luck with Kumho.

As far as all season go, when I bent two of my 18" wheels I quickly threw on my 17" wheels and quickly had to buy tires. I installed Kumho AS tires. They were certainly OK. When I finally got my 18" fixed and bought new Conti DWs, I could NOT believe how much better the ride was. I waited to order my Contis until they went on sale WITH a rebate offer though.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the inexpensive end of the spectrum, I'll only tell you to avoid Sumitomo HTRZ-II like the plague that they are. Absolutely the WORST tire I've ever driven on. Horrible tire. I've had a lot of luck with Kumho.

As far as all season go, when I bent two of my 18" wheels I quickly threw on my 17" wheels and quickly had to buy tires. I installed Kumho AS tires. They were certainly OK. When I finally got my 18" fixed and bought new Conti DWs, I could NOT believe how much better the ride was. I waited to order my Contis until they went on sale WITH a rebate offer though.
That's crazy because the Sumitomos are like $100 a piece.. and these Nankang tires are like $69 a piece. I've bought really nice Hankook tires for $67 a piece before.. but those were 205/55-R16. And they were on some kinda rebate deal. Do you suggest that I don't get the cheap ass tires and just get something decent? Or maybe something used that's in really good condition? I don't wanna spend $120 per tire :'(
By the way, Bridgestone makes some really nice SUV tires. Just for future reference.

·
Ironman
5,101 Posts
Hard for me to make a recommendation for something I've not experienced first-hand. I wouldn't talk you OUT of the choice you listed. I probably wouldn't buy them myself, but I'm in a TOTALLY different place in my life.

In the past I've bought tires that just keep the wheels off the ground until I could get something better.

Look, in the end, if you don't over-drive your tires, then any of them will be fine. You have to start getting experiences somehow. You'll develop your own preferences over time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hard for me to make a recommendation for something I've not experienced first-hand. I wouldn't talk you OUT of the choice you listed. I probably wouldn't buy them myself, but I'm in a TOTALLY different place in my life.

In the past I've bought tires that just keep the wheels off the ground until I could get something better.

Look, in the end, if you don't over-drive your tires, then any of them will be fine. You have to start getting experiences somehow. You'll develop your own preferences over time.
I like how you're giving life advice along with auto advice :)
I don't drive that rash. Which is why I feel like any tire will be fine. I'm just thinking that a tire won't like fall off.. if I just drive regular and sometimes do drag races.. tires are supposed to last through that heat.

·
Ironman
5,101 Posts
Some people here freak out if you buy anything but the best, but life is life. Learn, but try to learn without doing anything stupid. :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Some people here freak out if you buy anything but the best, but life is life. Learn, but try to learn without doing anything stupid. :)
Lol come on! It's an E46. I'm not gonna spend tens of thousands on a car that's 15 years old. Maybe when I have loads of money or something. I'm still a student.. so just taking it slow. After the rims and tires, I'm planning to do underbody led lights along with a carbon fiber interior kit. I'll put my progress here as it goes on. Right now, I'm getting my valve cover gasket changed, and my hood cable replaced. I've already gone through a cooling system rehaul, because I blew an engine and replaced it with a slightly newer (and larger) one.

·
Ironman
5,101 Posts
Lol come on! It's an E46. I'm not gonna spend tens of thousands on a car that's 15 years old. Maybe when I have loads of money or something. I'm still a student.. so just taking it slow. After the rims and tires, I'm planning to do underbody led lights along with a carbon fiber interior kit. I'll put my progress here as it goes on. Right now, I'm getting my valve cover gasket changed, and my hood cable replaced. I've already gone through a cooling system rehaul, because I blew an engine and replaced it with a slightly newer (and larger) one.
:thumbup:

I agree. But take it from an (relatively) old man... Ditch the underbody lights. Be cool and have a well maintained, functional car. You're showing wisdom in your approach already. The cost of those underbody lights would be better deployed elsewhere IMHO. Long-term you're more likely to end up with a car you're proud of if you do.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:thumbup:

I agree. But take it from an (relatively) old man... Ditch the underbody lights. Be cool and have a well maintained, functional car. You're showing wisdom in your approach already. The cost of those underbody lights would be better deployed elsewhere IMHO. Long-term you're more likely to end up with a car you're proud of if you do.
Relatively old man :p
Well, what else can you do to make your car shine in your opinion? I do sometimes find underbody lights tacky, but feel like it could be tastefully done. It would cost at least $200 to buy and install, so where else can the $200 be used? Work is currently in progress. Just got the valve cover and spark plugs changed.

·
Ironman
5,101 Posts
Heck, for $200 I'd go to Detailed Image and buy a Porter Cable random orbit buffer, some pads and whatever else I could afford to bring the finish to the finest you can get it, assuming your maintenance is up to date and the paint is not failing.

For $200 I'd get a short shift kit (from one of the other BMW models) and a nice ZHP shift knob.

For $200, if you don't have them already, I'd get Dupo clears. They quality of Dupo E46 products today seems to be a lot better than in the past. I've bought rears for both my 328i and my 325iT, as well as side marker and front corners.

For $200 I'd replace worn out center console pieces.

For $200 I'd get a front airdam (lip) from eBay (the Hamann rep seems to be a good fit) and have someone paint it.

Trust me, at your age, right now, you think the lights look kinda cool and sets your car apart. In a year or two you'll wish you had that $200 for more classic upgrades (or maintenance).

Just trying to help.

·
Registered
194 Posts
IMO, perhaps as your are looking for all seasons, spending more would benefit you and your e46 in the long run. You pay a bit more for each tire but you get more responsiveness, comfort, and reliability. Pilot sports as/3's are great, many options on tire rack, Good luck.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts