BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 330i 2004
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting sick and tired of having to take my car to Costco to install tires or to swap summer/winter tires.

I know Harbor Freight has a manual device and I saw a couple of vids about its usage. It looked like it's easy to scratch the rim with this tire swapper.

Do you guys own any pneumatic ones that are more fool-proof, easy to use and durable?

·
Registered
'02 330i 5-Speed
5,261 Posts
Even if you buy that, you still have to balance them...

Why not just buy an extra set of wheels for your winter tires?

Tires are one of the few things I have to farm out... I hate it too, but that's just the way it is.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I agree with spannerhead. Cheap diy mounting tools are a nightmare. Plus there's no great way (without Making a bigger investment) to get around balancing so why bother with mounting. So I bake in that $20/tire cost (@ Discount Tire) in the hobby and that adds up for multiple sets of tires and multiple cars.

If the wheels are cheap enough, like oem e46 wheels, you can keep an extra set. Performance wheels run over $1,000 so that becomes a cost of the hobby.

If possible people also switch over to all season tires for this reason.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Spring for a set of winter wheels & tires. Only Michelin tires! Great investment. Nothing like having 5 Pilot Alpins or X-Ices on when in CO in the winter. -1 size on wheels. Discount Tires will swap free, every season. Super Sports in spring summer fall, nothing like snows under you as the police shut the hwy behind you.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

1 - 11 of 11 Posts