E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Guys I have been exactly where you guys are and the best answer I can give you is give up on the adhesives and just replace the actual part. All the fabrics pillars and the headliner tend to be easily stained and the adhesive only last for a couple months. After three seperate attempts. I just replaced the pillars outright and the headliner, I waited till I found one available on this forum.

Up to you guys. I spent hours on that project then finally wised up. It took me another couple hours of work but now I know it will last for a good many years.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Guys I have been exactly where you guys are and the best answer I can give you is give up on the adhesives and just replace the actual part. All the fabrics pillars and the headliner tend to be easily stained and the adhesive only last for a couple months. After three seperate attempts. I just replaced the pillars outright and the headliner, I waited till I found one available on this forum.

Up to you guys. I spent hours on that project then finally wised up. It took me another couple hours of work but now I know it will last for a good many years.
You didn't use the correct adhesive.

Uhhhmeeer used some really good stuff. Let me ask him.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts

thanks gabe

use this stuff i did my whole headliner, pilars and rear speaker deck with this stuff works very well. make sure you get the 90 not the 75 or 70

make sure you let the adhesive sit a bit before you apply the material

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

I agree. And plus, it does not take hours to glue the fabric if it only takes 5minutes to dry. Think about it.the only fabric coming off is towards the end, by the rear lights. everything else is in tact.

I was recommended to 3m77 at michaels.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
IlL make you one, spray adhesive, let adhesive sit for a little before apply pressure on the cloth to the headline. Hold it. It'll dry and let go.
uhm....my dude how do you get on the inside of the drooping headliner to spray adhesive?

you write that like if you are just spraying it on the outside of the headliner!

I'm assuming you obviously have to remove the entire headliner and then drop the fabric before spraying anything.

Is there a method for doing that? :hmm:

·
Registered
560 Posts
I can't remember what it's called exactly, but the one I used is made by Loctite. I got it at a local fastner supply store.

·
Registered
25,513 Posts
The 3M 77 spray adhesive worked for me.

I remember having to spray quite a bit of it though. The more I was able to spray on without any seeping through the fabric, the better of a bond I got.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts