E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I sold my 330 covertable after only having it for 3 weeks and got a 4 door. I know I know but with young children the convertable wasn't getting it done. Now I have a 330i 5speed and I need a shifter that isn't as crappy as the stock one. Oh yeah and is their one made from leather or some other material besides the plastic fake wood crap (it's to slick). Tell me the top shifters out there so I can get my order (url's please).

·
Der Meisterstück
2,468 Posts
strabo said:
Ok I sold my 330 covertable after only having it for 3 weeks and got a 4 door. I know I know but with young children the convertable wasn't getting it done. Now I have a 330i 5speed and I need a shifter that isn't as crappy as the stock one. Oh yeah and is their one made from leather or some other material besides the plastic fake wood crap (it's to slick). Tell me the top shifters out there so I can get my order (url's please).
Are you refering to shift knobs or Short Shift Kits?

·
is on da floor
2,741 Posts
nothing better than my OEM black leather 5 speed knob from bmw for 35 bucks :) but leather'z has some extremley nice one's if you have the cash! i suggest the leather'z package with rogue ssk.

·
Registered
725 Posts
strabo said:
Might as well swap out the selector rod too while you are in there...The UUC DSSR is a nicely designed rod and it fits like a Swiss movement.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I must be getting tired, I should turn in...
I read "Ben Stiller" when I read your title...

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
I put the UUC EVO III into my 325 and have been happy. I haven't decided if I'm going to do the same with my ZHP.

I just looked over at Rogue - Do they replace the entire aluminum carrier in the 330i?

·
Slow in, slower out
4,651 Posts
strabo said:
Ok I sold my 330 covertable after only having it for 3 weeks and got a 4 door. I know I know but with young children the convertable wasn't getting it done...
The 330i is faster and handles better. :thumbup:

Ed

·
Registered
237 Posts
shizat63 said:
I put the UUC EVO III into my 325 and have been happy. I haven't decided if I'm going to do the same with my ZHP.

I just looked over at Rogue - Do they replace the entire aluminum carrier in the 330i?

I actually do no know. Does anybody know if they do?

4,229 Posts
Ask yuorself this: why would you replace the carrier?

Anything wrong with the original carrier? (hint: no)

Why would someone replace the carrier as part of their shift kit?

- Could it be a marketing gimmick to give you a shiny machined part that has no effect on shift feel?

- Could it be their shifter is not designed to work properly with the OE carrier?

Could be either one. Usually both, and usually the sign of a sub-optimal design.

Education is your best tool, and filtering out the "marketing" of some companies is your brain's job. Read the true details about what makes a shifter work well, feel smooth, and most importantly, not wear out:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_product/bmw_shifters/shifter_nav.htm

(yes, I know it's a lot of reading, but it sure beats the OT forum... :) )

4,229 Posts
vaio76109 said:
No, they replace the carrier because they changed the geometry of the all the linkage.

Nothing is wrong with that.
Nothing is wrong with changing the geometry - UUC has been doing that for years. By using the 2nd-generation family of ERK devices with the infinitely-variable design (changed to suit each application it is made for) of the self-adjusting primary pivot, we can alter the geometry without changing perfectly good OE parts.

So why change the carrier? That question still remains...

- Rob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts