BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to figure out whats the best way to save some gas.

In automatic mode on SMG I was wondering what would be the most economical shift setting?

I usually keep it on S4

With gas prices going up I need to slow it down a bit... :bawling:

Also any other tips on saving gas would be greatly appreciated!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
ya S1, shift at 3000rpm, push the throttle as little as possible + what everyone else said. If you can stand it. How much will that save you, $10 or $20 a month if you're lucky?

·
Registered
740 Posts
My bet is your right foot overrides all that you can gain with the various S-modes.. as Stussy said.. drive smooth.. read up on hypermiling.. smooth.. smooth smooth.. like racing but goal is to consume least gas as possible.

·
Registered
850 Posts
i know i'm not of any help but...
if you own an m3.. you shouldnt be worrying that much about gas!

·
Banned
481 Posts
i know i'm not of any help but...
if you own an m3.. you shouldnt be worrying that much about gas!
Not 100% true, im not really "Worried" about how much gas i use, i/you bought the car to drive and have fun driving it in the process, but you can still be conscientious about gas consumption

·
Registered
740 Posts
From my experience, on the average, the M3 gets about 4MPG less than a 325i. ~22%.. so it cost about $14 more per tank. For the average driver, that's about $700-$800 annually. This is conservative driving styles on both. My guess is if you drive both cars hard, the difference would be more than 4mpg.

·
Registered
116 Posts
SMG setting has nothing to do with MPG. if you want better MPG just change your driving style and also check your tire pressure, air filter and spark plugs more frequently.

A1 starts your car in 2nd gear, best fuel economy that way
wrong~ starting your car on 2nd gear will only put more stress on your clutch and the engine will end up doing more work to get your car going. you should only use the A1 mode on snow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts