BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked my oil and it looks like I definitely need to change it. What oil do you guys recommend I use for my E46 330i. What filter should I get to?
A link to the product would be great too
Thank you

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
5,486 Posts
There is no "best" oil. And there are 1,000 oil threads that reach that conclusion. First figure out what your bias is, then there are a few routes:
1. Rotella T6 - "I am a pragmatist with a 330 and have some oil loss issues" - Rotella is designed for diesel engines and fine for our engines. Has detergents that can help with oil consumption. Very cheap at Home Depot.
2. Liquimoly 5W30 - "Nothing is good enough for my 330" - The same benefit as Rotella, more expensive, but very well-regarded for quality.
3. Any LL01 oil - "I follow directions" - Standard certification for full synthetic. Manufacturers need to pay for the cert, so an oil can have the characteristics without the label, but getting the label is safe. Mobil 1 or BMW oil from the dealer work.
4. Any full synthetic - "Holy crap you guys overthink this stuff" - If you are changing oil every 7,500 miles and don't have oil consumption, why would you spend any more than you have to?

Any of these directions are fine. Don't lose sleep over this question. Don't get US spec Castrol.

As for filters, Mann

·
Registered
63 Posts
pretty much any filter will do but i recomend bosch/mahle/mann

i use 5w40 Addinol (dont know if its available in US) and bosch filter
i tried with Castrol and Shell and Addinol, didin´t noticed any difference in engine sound/performace/oil consumption so i kept using Addinol, i change it every 6000miles

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
What's wrong with us spec castrol? I use the 5w40 us spec strol and has been doing well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
5,486 Posts
I have no personal experience and am mostly posting a distillation of what I have read and what I use (Rotella). I had heard US Castrol had issues, but I struck that comment out of the first post.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't know why I bit all the time!
Anyways, currently using 5w40 Castrol a3b4 euro and the 3 X3s love it! Oil loss is now insignificant!
This year I look to only just top off the oil...all three are daily drivers; by the end of the year I should do maybe 5k each...everybody got an oil change start November.
I really can't tell the difference when it comes to oil filters I like pureoilater, k&n,mann,bmw...used a long life Bosch once really liked that one...oh and fram tough guard. Those last two are tough for me to come across. I've got a whole stash now. Got several aftermarket ones haven't used. At the time i was stockpiling I was changing at 7500k. But since I've done head gaskets, ccv for each car and have seen the oil consumption being way less...I've changed my game plan. Now I have to replace the o2 sensors (precat) the 3 little pigs should really be humming then. All are at 200k...well one has about 1.5k to go before she hits 200k. Everyone is fit for extended runs on the highway/long trips. That was another one of my goals. I'm contemplating not changing the oil but changing the oil filter come around April or end of May.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
762 Posts
Agree its more important to have CLEAN oil than THE oil everyone thinks is best. Personally, I have been using Rotella Syn T6 ever since I found out about it nearly a decade ago. There are oil threads ad nauseum on every make forum. Anecdotally, T6 is highly regarded on many of them I participate in and the oil website bobistheoilguy also likes it.

Reactions: docnabimmer

·
Registered
04 325XIT 05 325IT 03 325XI 05 X5 3.0
641 Posts
What's wrong with us spec castrol? I use the 5w40 us spec strol and has been doing well.

he was referring to castrol 040 USA which isnt LLO1 spec oil but 5 40 is.
I'm gonna try German made pancake syrup and report back my findings. Wish me luck.

Does it have to German...how about Aunt Gemima???
Agree its more important to have CLEAN oil than THE oil everyone thinks is best. Personally, I have been using Rotella Syn T6 ever since I found out about it nearly a decade ago. There are oil threads ad nauseum on every make forum. Anecdotally, T6 is highly regarded on many of them I participate in and the oil website bobistheoilguy also likes it.
This is true- now that i Just added A Subaru Crosstrek to our fleet for my daughter- im switching ALL cars to T6 to make it easy- even the VOLVO.I am not using 0 20, that thing is like water....lol

·
Registered
2005 BMW 330i
748 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Home Search results for "oil" Valvoline Syn High Mile with MaxLife Technology 5W-30 Full Synthetic High Mileage Motor Oil, 5 Quart

Valvoline Syn High Mile with MaxLife Technology 5W-30 Full Synthetic

how about this one?
its the one recommended on advanced auto

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Oh my, already 18 posts and no mention of our Official Oil thread? (self annointed, mind you...)
There is a nice list of popular LL-01 oils in there.
There should be a flag that when someone goes to start a thread and the keywords "oil" and "best" are used, it says no thanks we already have lots of those

1 - 20 of 45 Posts