BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's the best method to pull a motor and trans in one, if you're one guy (with little to no help?

i've heard if i remove the exhaust manifold i can pull it all out as one
is it that much better to pull the bumper, radiator, headlights, and etc out and pull the engine out the front?

i want to leave my ac compressor and system intact

(i've pulled honda and other engines, this is my first bmw)

the reason for pulling it like this is the transmission has to be replaced and the car has 185k on it, i figure i'll do rear main seal, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, and a general clean up while the engine is out
also, i don't have a lift

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Sorry to see no one responded.

Couple of ways to do it. Lowering front subframe is a good way, but best done with a lift.

This is how I would do it without a lift

Get car on jack stands as high as you feel safe.
Disconnect exhaust at downipipe. Remove exhaust from downpipe back
unbolt drive shaft at quibo
Undo shifter assembly
pull front bumper, headlights, radiator and supports off - leave AC condenser connected and attached out of the way
Unbolt AC compressor and PS pump and strap to side of engine bay
disconnect engine and trans mounts...support trans with jack
unplug wiring at DME and lay on top of engine. Undo engine to body ground strap(s).
Use an engine hoist and lift and pull engine and trans together

·
Registered
206 Posts
In in the exact same boat, was coming here to ask the same question. I have 2 wagons, a 5 spd that got rear ended and an auto with a bad engine. I need to pull the motor / trans from both and swap / convert the good car.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Given the risk of stuck, crusty, bell-housing fasteners, lack of access, and the high risk of stripping the dumb e-torx bolts BMW uses, pulling the engine/trans together and separating outside the car really is the way to go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
what's the best method to pull a motor and trans in one, if you're one guy (with little to no help?

i've heard if i remove the exhaust manifold i can pull it all out as one
is it that much better to pull the bumper, radiator, headlights, and etc out and pull the engine out the front?

i want to leave my ac compressor and system intact

(i've pulled honda and other engines, this is my first bmw)

the reason for pulling it like this is the transmission has to be replaced and the car has 185k on it, i figure i'll do rear main seal, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, and a general clean up while the engine is out
also, i don't have a lift
Best way is to drop the whole mess, subframe and all , from below.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just replaced my M54b25 by myself no problem. I removed front end, swiveled the AC condenser up and out of the way, disconnected everything and pulled engine and 5 speed manual out together with exhaust manifold attached.
2001 E46 325i ZPP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts