E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve had my e46 for about a year now and my shocks are starting to go bad mainly the springs don’t have as much resistance as I’ve seen on other cars. Was wondering if any of you could help me find a good set of coil overs since most of you already have experience with some brands, not looking to lower the car much maybe half an inch but I want a somewhat smooth ride. I have a 2003 330i sedan

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
If you're after good performance, comfort etc.. Go with a quality set of springs and shocks.
Coil overs in that price range are generally crashy garbage.

·
Registered
2004 330CI ZHP
307 Posts
If you're after good performance, comfort etc.. Go with a quality set of springs and shocks.
Coil overs in that price range are generally crashy garbage.
Exactly, it seems like everyone is hopping on the coilover bandwagon nowadays. Unless you need extra camber/caster adjustment for the track (or if you want to StAnCeNaTiOn) and you will corner balance and take advantage of the ability to swap springs and adjust damping to suit... there's no need.

If you want that small drop for the aesthetic then a quality set of lowering springs and matched dampers would work well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
^^ This. If a small drop in ride height is all you're going for, lowering springs are all you need. If you are on factory sports suspension and your struts are in good shape, you will probably be fine keeping them if you install 'street' springs from the likes of H&R, Eibach etc. Obviously a stiffer spring will benefit from a strut that's matched to its ratings but a milder streetable spring will be fine with stock sports struts if budget is a consideration. You can read about my experience, and others, with cheap coilovers here.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Here is an idea of what trouble you can expect with cheap coilovers.

Edit:
Damn, didn't notice the post has already been linked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts