BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Best Ride Quality/ handling ratio?

• KW v1

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • FK v1

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • H&R

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Billstien PSS

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • H&R cupkit (another option all together)

Votes: 10 38.5%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Bavarian Motor Slave
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have H&R race springs now, the ride is dog **** but it hadles good.

I live in Bostoyn and the roads bite ass, so i need something with a better ride quality...

...so coilovers i suppose.

Which ones is going to give me the best Ride Quality/ Handling ratio?

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
i think bilstein pss coilvers gives a great ride, when its set up high its very smooth, a bit stiffer when u lower it but stil very supple. its stiff but supple if that makes sense?

alternatively u can try to just put bilstein shocks with the race springs?

my friend has the hr springs and bilstein shocks combo on his m coupe and its amazing! sick ass handling but awesome ride, actually is smoother then stock but awesome handling. smoother then my coilvers actually. its amazing to be honest, dunno how it would translate to the e46 since ive never been in one with just hr springs, but could be worth a try

·
Registered
370 Posts
im going with PSS9's. :thumbup:

·
Alpha Male
6,563 Posts
drewcon said:
i was waiting for one of you wiseasses to say something like that. :D
How is that a wise ass answer? Just cuz it's not one of your poll choices? :D :D :D :D :D

If you think about it, my suggestion does give the best handling and ride confort level :tongue:

·
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!
3,881 Posts
FK V2's for sure, i'm not a big fan of Bilstein shock's i'd much prefer the Koni Double Adjustables that come with the FK-V2's.

·
Alpha Male
6,563 Posts
UltimateOne said:
Im trying to remember but I think its something to do with them blowing out rear shock mounts.:dunno:
Raer spring perches were too low and had difficulties clearing the half shafts I thought.

·
Just Marinatin'
2,875 Posts
get

ACS suspension. Costs an arm and a leg but it is supposed to be better than stock comfort wise and still gives you a bit of a drop. I have the cup kit and it is comfortable enough for me. There are some shady roads here in portland too.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think the ACS Sport suspension might be a little harsh for what he's looking for. I suppose it won't be as harsh as his H&R race, but if he's running 19" with them (like me) I think its quite a harsh ride.

I'm selling (getting rid of) brand new, never used (about 3 miles) factory non-sport suspension if you want to take up Clem's idea :D

Stuart.

·
Registered
504 Posts
There is Ground Control also!! They use the Koni adjustable shocks like the FK. I think it is cheaper too!!

·
Bavarian Motor Slave
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
)im selling my 19s right now anyway, so the ride will be a little better.

But even with my stock 17s and the race its harsh as ****.

Basically i want suspension that i can drive with everyday thats stiff and sporty but wont knock a filling loose (my fillings are falling out like its coool wit hteh race jk:D ) but also something that gives great handling.

SO if the PSS are a problem, how can Bilstien even sell them? Is there any way to fix that problem?

·
St. Louis BMW Fanatic
7,084 Posts
Keep in mind the H&R Cupkit is a rather harsh ride as well.

You should consider coilovers with adjustable dampening at minimum. Just remember, any time you lower a car; you're going to reduce the ride quality.

·
HartgE46
788 Posts
What about...

the UUC Slot Car Kit? The sways will keep you cornering hard, the spring rate is supposed to be much more controlled and comfortable than the OEM sport springs, and it still gives you that nice drop... Sounds like the best of both worlds to me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts