BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's tax return time. I'm going to be receiving around $1,100 which is substantial, but not enough to do the exhaust system that I really want to do which is the Borla which would be hitting my wallet for almost the entire return, not even counting the work. (I would do it myself, but I don't own a lift.)

I browse the forums all the time trying to see opinions and what other people are doing to their e46s, but there's just so many options. Its very overwhelming. Should I do headers? Should I not do headers? Should I even bother with the exhaust? Which gives the throatiest noise? Which gains the most horses? Is there any risks of failure? Which ones are annoying to put on than others? Where is Waldo? I can search the forums up and down but still not come up with a true answer.

I drive a 2000 328Ci .

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Help a noob out!

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
"Where is Waldo?" :lmao:

Can you afford ~$250 to ~$300 for a brand new Cat-Back exhaust system shipped to your front door ?

Rob43

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
I could do that tonight if I really wanted to. Why? Is there something?
Yes, the least expensive cat-back exhaust for the E46 chassis is the OBX, there are 3 forum members that I know of that have run this exhaust on their Bimmer & all said they liked it. It can be bought in Black or Chrome for roughly the price I mentioned the last time I looked at it. I'll post up a link in a few minutes.

Rob43

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the least expensive cat-back exhaust for the E46 chassis is the OBX, there are 3 forum members that I know of that have run this exhaust on their Bimmer & all said they liked it. It can be bought in Black or Chrome for roughly the price I mentioned the last time I looked at it. I'll post up a link in a few minutes.

Rob43
If you could that would be great! Seriously, thank you.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
i got you covered rob43 ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Catback...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a4d5c72a3&vxp=mtr

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maximizer-B...s&fits=Model:330i&hash=item2a433bd97e&vxp=mtr

the welds wont last but its the best priced hands down.

not sure of fitment and everything. you would most likely have to take it to a exhaust shop to get everything fitted correctly im sure its not 100% bolt on.

---------------

that being said if i were you I would just get an axle back muffler. your not gonna produce much perf gains with just catback. but the sound your looking for would be there. also aftermarket intake would give you some nice sound as well and easy to install, but again not much perf gain.

headers would be the best option but then you would have to be willing to deal with tackling the CO2 CELs with software or welded 90 degree bungs plus the added exhaust smell as it eliminates the cats. however headers are the best bang for you buck in terms of perf. gain.

people here have had good luck with deleting the rear exhaust muffler with good throaty sound.

edit: whoops those are the wrong links for your car just realized you have a 328ci. ignore ebay links

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
i got you covered rob43 ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Catback...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a4d5c72a3&vxp=mtr

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maximizer-B...s&fits=Model:330i&hash=item2a433bd97e&vxp=mtr

the welds wont last but its the best priced hands down.

not sure of fitment and everything. you would most likely have to take it to a exhaust shop to get everything fitted correctly im sure its not 100% bolt on.
This is all the info I gave you about a week back. What personal experience do you base the "Bad" welds on & poor fitment ?

Have you personally bought one & can say this as fact ???

EDIT, thanks for the acknowledgement.

Rob43

·
Registered
8,012 Posts

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
:facepalm:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I've heard it on my engine the 330i. I'm not sure how it would sound of your 328ci.

but i think it would give you what your looking for in terms of sound.

if you strapped for money then id take it to a good exhaust shop and see what they could come up with for you. people have had good luck with magnaflow mufflers

·
Registered
371 Posts
It's tax return time. I'm going to be receiving around $1,100 which is substantial, but not enough to do the exhaust system that I really want to do which is the Borla which would be hitting my wallet for almost the entire return, not even counting the work. (I would do it myself, but I don't own a lift.)

I browse the forums all the time trying to see opinions and what other people are doing to their e46s, but there's just so many options. Its very overwhelming. Should I do headers? Should I not do headers? Should I even bother with the exhaust? Which gives the throatiest noise? Which gains the most horses? Is there any risks of failure? Which ones are annoying to put on than others? Where is Waldo? I can search the forums up and down but still not come up with a true answer.

I drive a 2000 328Ci .

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Help a noob out!
too bad there isn't a Lous custom near you. some locations do good work.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
The RE Ikon looks to be a good bang for buck unit at sub $600. I don't know of too many people who run it, but I've heard sound clips and it sounds pretty good to me. RE is really upfront about it too. They admit that anything short of a header replacement won't realistically yield that much gain so they just tried to make a muffler that looks and sounds good.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The RE Ikon looks to be a good bang for buck unit at sub $600. I don't know of too many people who run it, but I've heard sound clips and it sounds pretty good to me. RE is really upfront about it too. They admit that anything short of a header replacement won't realistically yield that much gain so they just tried to make a muffler that looks and sounds good.
From the videos I could find it sounded as if there was literally no difference with that system. :/

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
How about skipping the exhaust and doing your rear subframe op. I'm sure you haven't so that would pay off in the long run much more than some cheap exhaust system.

Why do you feel the need to hurry up and rip through those tax returns. You could save the money for when your high mileage BMW has an issue.

I'm so freaking sick of these damn exhaust threads. Every year at tax time the kids come out and I have to read at least a dozen of these same threads every week until they all blow their cash and then the rest of the year the same people whine about their car having issues and they can't afford to fix it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How about skipping the exhaust and doing your rear subframe op. I'm sure you haven't so that would pay off in the long run much more than some cheap exhaust system.

Why do you feel the need to hurry up and rip through those tax returns. You could save the money for when your high mileage BMW has an issue.

I'm so freaking sick of these damn exhaust threads. Every year at tax time the kids come out and I have to read at least a dozen of these same threads every week until they all blow their cash and then the rest of the year the same people whine about their car having issues and they can't afford to fix it.
Sub frame is already done bruh. I'm a noob but I'm not completely stupid lmao.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey send me a link on subframe!

And I too am interested in an exhaust system but I haven't found a good one for a good price (my eyes are on an Eisenmann, hard to come across for a cheaper price).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts