E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you guys let Best Buy install a head unit in your BMW??? Im thinking about it and I need some input. Thanks

·
Registered
567 Posts
Depends the installer. I install at best buy. We are all mecp certified, one of our installers is master certified. It's nice not working at a commission shop. You can go to a high end shop and if it's a shitty installer, you just paid for a shitty install

·
Registered
193 Posts
Would you guys let Best Buy install a head unit in your BMW??? Im thinking about it and I need some input. Thanks
Based on the Best Buy "install" jobs I've seen, I wouldn't let them go near the car, much less touch the head unit.

There will, of course, be the rare exception, but I'd still never suggest going there.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Based on the Best Buy "install" jobs I've seen, I wouldn't let them go near the car, much less touch the head unit.

There will, of course, be the rare exception, but I'd still never suggest going there.
I install at Best Buy, like I said, it's all about the installer no matter where you go. Check to see if they are MECP certified or anything. The nice thing though about getting it done at a best buy, especially something so basic as a deck install, is the fact that it is a corporate gig; there are people above them so if they **** up, you have somewhere to go. There is a commission shop just up the road from us and I have seen a lot of shitty things come back to them or us from them. If equipment or custom work fails, you are SOL because they could give a ****, or so I have been told. :tsk:

Also, Kerunt, that is a very serious statement to make, especially given the fact that you haven't had an install done there. Go ahead and search my posts, the one about my door panels and say you wouldn't let me do anything lol.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I install at Best Buy, like I said, it's all about the installer no matter where you go. Check to see if they are MECP certified or anything. The nice thing though about getting it done at a best buy, especially something so basic as a deck install, is the fact that it is a corporate gig; there are people above them so if they **** up, you have somewhere to go. There is a commission shop just up the road from us and I have seen a lot of shitty things come back to them or us from them. If equipment or custom work fails, you are SOL because they could give a ****, or so I have been told. :tsk:

Also, Kerunt, that is a very serious statement to make, especially given the fact that you haven't had an install done there. Go ahead and search my posts, the one about my door panels and say you wouldn't let me do anything lol.
It's quite possible that you do a good job - as I said, there are likely to be exceptions. But I've personally seen the kind of work done at Best Buys - everything from destroyed interiors & panels, to cut OEM harnesses and just about anything else you can imagine. And the stories of trying to get the "higher-ups" to fix damages... not something I want to deal with.

IMO, either do the install yourself, or find an expert to do it and pay the $$ price - no cutting corners.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Be more specific in your bashing. Particular store? Best buy is a huge company and not every shop works the same. Like any install shop, commission or not, go talk to them and see how they are and what you want to accomplish. I wouldn't take my car to all best buys but I wouldn't take my car to all commission shops either. Talk to the installers is the best bet

·
Registered
193 Posts
Be more specific in your bashing. Particular store? Best buy is a huge company and not every shop works the same. Like any install shop, commission or not, go talk to them and see how they are and what you want to accomplish. I wouldn't take my car to all best buys but I wouldn't take my car to all commission shops either. Talk to the installers is the best bet
Maybe you'd also like to know which particular employee did the install, and what he had for breakfast that morning? :rolleyes:

I'm telling you what I've seen on local cars that have been done Best Buys, and what I've read online. There are plenty of Best Buys around here, and I highly doubt that all these guys went to the same store and the same installer.

Quick Google search instantly brings up similar discussions:
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37031
http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Be...iculously-bad-stereo-installation/td-p/126579

You seem to take pride in your work - great, but I can guarantee you, you're part of a very small minority. I shop at Best Buy once in a while, and I see the guys working in Geek Squad, audio, and other departments. 99% of them are completely clueless, and I have friends working there that fall into this category. I stand by my original point: I would never let anyone from Best Buy so much as touch my car. The end.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Because there are more than 1100 stores, you will hear about the issues compared to a shop that has one location, maybe more (but not much more), you will obviously hear about those issues more given that more installs are done. I stand by my statement as well, go talk to the installers and find out what's good, find out their credentials and what not. Most will (should) be MECP certified, and although it is a test from a book, there are requirements for becoming certified ie; time as an installer, general knowledge, etc.

It's unfortunate Kerunt that you are ignorant and think that if an installer doesn't have a German accent or isn't wearing a Snap-On jacket they don't have the knowledge or the experience to do an install on a car that has been around for 12 years. E46 are no different than any other car when installing anything, especially a deck install. Let them know you need the wiring harness and antenna adapter, they will be more than happy to use a wiring harness because hard wiring a deck is a pain in the ass.

However, I'm not going to continue the discussion on why you should give Best Buy a chance and argue with somebody who has never had experience with a Best Buy installer and refuses to ever have one. Closed minded people always succeed right? :facepalm:

/end

1 - 10 of 10 Posts