BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 325xi that has the factory nav, I would like to install a modern unit with better nav and more importantly iphone/aux options to play music from my iphone or any device with an aux out. Rear view camera would be nice too. I have seen some of the options out there, including the Andriod based Pumpkin which looks interesting.
My vehicle has harmon kardon speakers will that entail any complications?

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
The "HK" consists of the amp and the speakers. The problem is that the amp needs audio signals that are "balanced differential" signals. Among other things, these signals are a higher voltage than typical "line level" signals. So, if you install an aftermarket head unit you'll have to find a way to interface the unit with the OEM amp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
2001 325I sedan HK with dsp.

The "HK" consists of the amp and the speakers. The problem is that the amp needs audio signals that are "balanced differential" signals. Among other things, these signals are a higher voltage than typical "line level" signals. So, if you install an aftermarket head unit you'll have to find a way to interface the unit with the OEM amp.
hk with dsp intergrated just fine with my eonon ga5150 with nothing other than installing the headunit.:excited:

·
Registered
15 Posts
pumpkin,eonon,dynavin,avin avant 2 all decks that u can get for your e46. i suggest one with pure andriod due to personal experience.I have been through 3 different decks 5113u win ce 5 ,gm5150 wince6 and now ga5150 andriod 4.2 by eonon. price range and customizable is why im all about eonon. start up timeon the andriod decks is much faster userinterface is much cleaner and uo to date. the issues i have with ga5150 are as follows supplied ant. adapter hooks up to the wrong ant. in the car. (now fixed: get a vw adapter and connect to correct radio ant. cable) ipod classic 160gb connects but only briefly then stops working and freezes ipod, and issue #2 new out of box dvd not working at all, data cd and regular audio cds work fine. beleive the issues to be soley software and may be fixed with update. other than that live obd2 via usb works on my ga5150 which is what my mission has been since i purchased my car in 09. dvd and ipod issues weren't present in 5113u and gm5150 but obd2 was only via bluetooth and very very laggy rendering live reading useless. bluetooth work excellent

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have an 05 325xi that has the factory nav, I would like to install a modern unit with better nav and more importantly iphone/aux options to play music from my iphone or any device with an aux out. Rear view camera would be nice too. I have seen some of the options out there, including the Andriod based Pumpkin which looks interesting.
My vehicle has harmon kardon speakers will that entail any complications?
from what i know if you go with eonon you will save lots o money but very weak support from the company, and hardware issues are expensive to ship back,the ga5150 has been the most stable of the decks i've dealt with and am happy because i didn't pay double and have the same issues with another. i don't know anything about pumpkin but pricing they were comparable to eonon. from what i've read over my time on the forums seems we are the tech support for eonon. you will need and extension cable for nav units by eonon. and some of those extenision cables were prone to issue. rear camera comes with the head unit when you buy direct from them.

·
J&T Distributing
3,177 Posts
The threads on this forum should tell you all you need to know.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you're interested in keeping the OEM system, an aux input can easily be added, as well as a backup camera through the OEM TV module.
Well this would certainly be cheaper! Is there a thread or some literature on how to do so? I have asked Bmw and they have said flat out there is no possibility in this scenario.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm not sure that it would actually be cheaper than buying an aftermarket unit actually, but it will almost certainly be more trouble free. As far as Aux is concerned, this involves removing the monitor from the dash and connecting and routing an aux cable to the glovebox or center console or wherever you want it. The OEM version of this part can be had from Bimmernav for $75, I believe it comes with installation instructions as well.

The reverse camera is a bit more involved to go the OEM route, since it was only ever offered as a dealer installed accessory. To do this you will need the OEM TV module wiring harness kit. Bimmernav has this in stock for $549, the Rear Camera switching module, $44 currently, and an OEM TV module (about $100 on eBay) (make sure you get one compatible with an E46). In addition, of course, you will need a backup camera with an RCA video output. So, providing you roll your own camera, you can have a rear camera integrated into the OEM system for about $700. Before you get too much sticker shock, consider whether or not a rear camera is really necessary for your needs. If it is essential, it is likely more cost effective to go for a complete aftermarket system.

Consider the fact that some of these parts might be more cheaply sourced than the ones I've found. The upshot is that the OEM system in your car now might be a bit outdated, but it is very upgradable and surprisingly customizable if you are willing to pay the price. And it will almost always be more reliable and seamless than the current aftermarket systems.

If you go with some aftermarket kit, very well. But if you are interested in learning more about the capabilities and expandability of these old systems, I suggest you start at Bimmernav and Toys In Your Car (google these). Good luck, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I found the Aux hook-up in the rear of my factory radio & bought a $10 cord & hooked it up & it worked GREAT! I used it to play my XM radio.
Although, I recently bought the Pumpkin LM-W1115 Radio. LOVE it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an AVIN Avant 2 running android, the OBDII Bluetooth adapter and backup camera (haven't installed the camera yet).

I love the unit but it's a little buggy (but android anything is buggy) and it's also quite an investment at probably 1/4 of the whole vehicle value. I will say that if you are an iPhone ios user you will probably be less than impressed with anything that runs Android os.

With that said, if you love your e46 as much as I love mine and intend to keep it then I think it's worth it.

The unit looks bone stock to the untrained eye and running a mobile hotspot from your phone (granting you access to all of the apps and features a modern cell phone has) makes it far superior to any OEM nav system on any new car in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
newbie first time posting

hello gang. wonfering if someone can help with an issue.
I have an '04 e46 325i with factory navigation an just installed a
Eonon GA5150F head unit. 2 things. first off I have no volume at all coming out of of speakers and seconly have no steering wheel function working with it. and of course there is no manual for the HU. any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Hi live4weekendz, your item was purchased from eBay, right? Regarding your questions:
1. Does your car come with DSP/LOGIC7 system?
2. Make sure all the wires are well connected.
3. Does your car have AMP? Make sure the AMP control line is with stable 12V voltage.
4. About your steering wheel control function, please refer to the image below, and connect again the white & blue steering control wires for checking.

5. We do not provide paper manual for Android models. You can check the PDF version on the main menu of your unit actually. Or you can read it here:
http://i.sbo2.com/page/GA Series Android 4.4 Manual_EN.html

Btw, kindly tell us your order number or eBay ID, so that we can check your order and follow your case better. Thanks.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I know it's been 5 whole years since the last post here, but I've had a PUMPKIN head unit in my '04 330Ci for about 6 years without ANY issues what-so-ever and folks see it & think it's factory. Everything on it works GREAT!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts