E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of your know, our FM reception is no good with an aftermarket headunit.

What are some of the aftermarket antennas that you guys are using on the E46?

Is there an FM antenna out there with no visible outside antenna? Is there some sort of FM antenna booster or something that we can use with the E46 antenna system?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
yeah, there are some small hide away amplified ants. which you can get that "may" help. we mainly use these in older cars which people don't want holes drilled in or marine (boat) applications. the wekest link i've found in the e46 system is the factory ant. end. similar to what volkswagon & various other manufacturers use. quite simply they suck. I cut mine off and soldered a standard ant end on & my alpine picks up like 10 times better than my factory radio did. the adaptors which you need to convert the german end to the standard sized end are not of that high a quality imo...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any DIY instructions? Maybe this will help out a lot of members since we are all having the same problem. Very good input, cls1000 - you are the man :D
cls1000 said:
yeah, there are some small hide away amplified ants. which you can get that "may" help. we mainly use these in older cars which people don't want holes drilled in or marine (boat) applications. the wekest link i've found in the e46 system is the factory ant. end. similar to what volkswagon & various other manufacturers use. quite simply they suck. I cut mine off and soldered a standard ant end on & my alpine picks up like 10 times better than my factory radio did. the adaptors which you need to convert the german end to the standard sized end are not of that high a quality imo...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Here is the connector: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=090-455

It looks like the end of the center pin is open so I guess you would just solder the center conductor right at the tip. The outer braid of the cable would just solder easily to the outside. Finish it all up with some heat-shrink tubing and that should do it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
whjeffs said:
Here is the connector: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=090-455

It looks like the end of the center pin is open so I guess you would just solder the center conductor right at the tip. The outer braid of the cable would just solder easily to the outside. Finish it all up with some heat-shrink tubing and that should do it.
So if I understand the workflow correctly, I cut the coaxial-looking connector plug off of the BMW antenna lead, then solder the Motorola plug as you instruct. The new Motorola plug plugs into the back of the Alpine HU? Do I have this right?

It's amazing to think that such a simple thing could result in 10X better reception!! The OEM connector must really be a piece of garbage.

·
modder fokker
6,808 Posts
i have a simular prob. As we connect the middle piece of the alpine hu antenne cable to the oem cable we had great reception but when the outside mass metal touches the mass of the cable it sucked bigtime.

So i am looking for a good antenne to :)
so keep posting tips :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts