E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
mod-er-at-or-er
1,056 Posts
focal utopia or seas lotus
dynaudio is pretty good also but not as good as the ones above i mentioned.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Are you familiar with the phrase "opinions are like @$$___s, everybodys got one"? You will get lots of different opinions on what sounds good. The problem is, sound quality is subjective and many people have different tastes.

Here's a few tips:
- Make an attempt to listen to a GOOD quality home system(s) so you can get some sort of reference on what good sound is.
- Go listen to lots of speakers with music YOU are familiar with. Listen to $150 dollar components and $1,000 components so you can learn the differences.
- Make sure they will fit in the location.
- Don't think the louder speaker is better during a listening test. High sensitivity speakers *usually* sacrifice sound quality. Also, power amplifiers produce more watts per dollar then ever before and you can EASILY overcome low sensitivity with a little extra power. I'm assuming you will add power to the HK system.
- Buy them because you like them, not because they are cheaper, or your buddy said to get them, or even that I said to get them!

With that said, I like MB Quart. They fit, they have superb build quality, and lots of adjustment on the crossovers so you can adjust the tweeter level to your liking.

Now go do your homework and listen to some speakers. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
i personally love the sound of focal utopias.... i have them in my car and theya re one of the best speaker component sets out... i have a set for sale pm me if your interested... other than that i like the sound of the mb quart q series speakers... but the utopias are better imo

·
mod-er-at-or-er
1,056 Posts
listener said:
Are you familiar with the phrase "opinions are like @$$___s, everybodys got one"? You will get lots of different opinions on what sounds good. The problem is, sound quality is subjective and many people have different tastes.

Here's a few tips:
- Make an attempt to listen to a GOOD quality home system(s) so you can get some sort of reference on what good sound is.
- Go listen to lots of speakers with music YOU are familiar with. Listen to $150 dollar components and $1,000 components so you can learn the differences.
- Make sure they will fit in the location.
- Don't think the louder speaker is better during a listening test. High sensitivity speakers *usually* sacrifice sound quality. Also, power amplifiers produce more watts per dollar then ever before and you can EASILY overcome low sensitivity with a little extra power. I'm assuming you will add power to the HK system.
- Buy them because you like them, not because they are cheaper, or your buddy said to get them, or even that I said to get them!

With that said, I like MB Quart. They fit, they have superb build quality, and lots of adjustment on the crossovers so you can adjust the tweeter level to your liking.

Now go do your homework and listen to some speakers. Good luck!

Good advice for the most part. Go test the speakers yourself. High sensitivity speakers do not necessarily have bad sound quality. Focal utopias are one of the highest sensitivity components out there and have close to the best sound quality for components. Seas lotus is the only other speaker set that comes close. Dynaudio and DLS are ok too. MB Quarts lack midbass and the midrange is not as good as other speakers. Build quality is ok, but no where close to focal utopia or seas lotus.

·
Registered
86 Posts
See what I mean?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.