E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...so i decided to give the repair a shot that besian systems offer after I got an exhaust vanos code. Personally, i think they are quite expensive for 10 orings, but they did do a very great and thorough write up which pretty much makes up for it. It took me roughly 2 hours give or take a few minutes because i took my sweet time making sure i didn't lose/break anything. Here are a few in-process pics:

me, being retarded, i didn't take any pictures of the actual problem cause i guess i was "in the zone" and not thinking about it. Was a pretty simple, straight forward repair and can definately be a DIY for a normal person that has some tech knowledge. The pistons in the cylinders were really loose and slid up and down without any force. Honestly I haven't noticed a performace difference, running difference/smoother, or better gas mileage from before and after that everyone claims they get. I also haven't made it to the 200 mile break in period either. I haven't cleared the code yet to see if it has fixed it, but i will do it when i get to work on tuesday. I could definately see there was a problem with the oem o-rings as they weren't doing much in there at all. Overall its definately worth a shot instead of paying the $500 for a whole new vanos unit or paying dr vanos for a refurbed kit. I will update this thread after i clear the code, and if i notice any differences. I will also update after the 200 mile break in. If you have any questions, feel free to ask :hi:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Good choice going the Beisan route. 500 clams for a whole new VANOS unit is totally not worth it IMO. I did my pistons recently and found the job fairly simple and straightforward, you just need to be patient and give some attention to detail. +1 on Beisan having a great, thorough write-up for the procedure.

What do you do as a BMW employee?

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,247 Posts
Ciand,

On the code you got...

Nothing personal at all...but I got a code (can't remember the one) after doing vcg and vanos seals too...lived with it for a week and brought it to my indy. When I opened the hood, the mech looked inside and said, "I see the problem." I looked again...and sure enough, I'd forgotten to plug in the vanos solenoid...that one connector hides beautifully behind the solenoid...on left side of vanos head. If that's it, you're welcome! If not...nothing personal!

Oh, one other thing...I also take great pains to clean every side of every elect connection really well with plastic safe elect. cleaner...getting in where you got, very easy to get a drip of this or that into connection and that might be enough to throw off signal.

I don't think that connection is exhaust side as the code indicated, but it seems to me that sometimes codes are thrown coz of issue 'upstream' so still could be that one connection...but could be another one too...sounds like something about that simple to me...hope it is for you!

Doug

·
Registered
761 Posts
Looks like it's that time of the year for everyone to do their seals. Good work!!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
i want to do this.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Oh. Not to rag, but how does that make your perception of the Beisan seals/VANOS rebuild any different from the average member's?

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh. Not to rag, but how does that make your perception of the Beisan seals/VANOS rebuild any different from the average member's?
Because I was a BMW tech also. :hi:

and no it's not the connector, I checked it all before replacing things, and cleared the code at work and it came right back when I started it

·
Registered
2016 340i xD 6-spd
27,247 Posts
Because I was a BMW tech also. :hi:

and no it's not the connector, I checked it all before replacing things, and cleared the code at work and it came right back when I started it
I was hoping for you that you made the same mistake I made...at least one other here did...I know that!

Hmmm...sorry to come back to connnectors, but might you have disconnected one when doing vc removal? Gotten oil or some crud in something? (Sorry again...got to ask...and often with things like this, it's a basic thing...although sometimes it's not!)

Really helpful, right?:lmao:

Wait for Raj to come by...I'm sure he'll have some thoughts for you!

·
Registered
640 Posts
mine threw a cam sensor code but it went away after the rings, now its back (thankfully its my 2nd one at 40k miles :censor:) i could feel alot more low end power in my 323, i dont know if you would feel it as much with a 3.0 though, i still have to do my zhp-im going to try to install my headers and schrick cams my next oil change with the vanos seals

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
No codes here after doing mine and letting it sit for like 8 months before turning it on or driving it. :hi: I expected worse...codes and maybe performance loss, but I do not notice any differences from before doing it nor after. The seals definitely needed to be replaced though and glad I never have to do it again. :woot:

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
What code do you have?
A vanos exhaust side code can also be caused by a sticking vanos exhaust solenoid piston. Remove the exhaust solenoid. You'll need a 32mm deep socket. Cover the belts and be ready to catch oil. Under the solenoid is a spring loaded plastic piston. Press it in and release. It should press in with some resistance and spring back when released. Check the piston movement. It should be very smooth. If the piston is sticking that's likely the problem. Take out the piston and clean it and its cylinder. You can also replace the cylinder with a redesigned part from BMW.
If the solenoid piston is not sticking maybe the oil passages are clogged.
In some cases the new rough finish Teflon rings can cause an exhaust code. But this will go away after the break-in period. Drive the car hard to break-in the seals.
You'll not likely receive benefits from the new seals until the problem is resolved.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
i did this recently as well. approaching the 200 mile marker. i have to say the idle is smother, lower, and the car pulls better over 4K. however I also did the oil, plugs, seafoamed the engine, and cleaned the air filter when i did the vanos. so the moral of the story is simply this. be good to your car and it will be good to you,

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also did the vanos seals process, and the difference was night and day but you have to break them felt complete power gain at 170 miles after i did the procedure.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What code do you have?
A vanos exhaust side code can also be caused by a sticking vanos exhaust solenoid piston. Remove the exhaust solenoid. You'll need a 32mm deep socket. Cover the belts and be ready to catch oil. Under the solenoid is a spring loaded plastic piston. Press it in and release. It should press in with some resistance and spring back when released. Check the piston movement. It should be very smooth. If the piston is sticking that's likely the problem. Take out the piston and clean it and its cylinder. You can also replace the cylinder with a redesigned part from BMW.
If the solenoid piston is not sticking maybe the oil passages are clogged.
In some cases the new rough finish Teflon rings can cause an exhaust code. But this will go away after the break-in period. Drive the car hard to break-in the seals.
You'll not likely receive benefits from the new seals until the problem is resolved.
when i was doin all of it, i forgot to take off the exhaust solenoid and check it, i'm just lazy. I wanted to do the seals anyway and the exhaust solenoid is really easy to get to so i may mess with it again this weekend.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Run a test with either GT1/ISAD or Autologic it will give you a pass fail and you can see the vanos move to verify the soliniod without swapping. leave the parts swapping diagnosis to the DIY you have access to the right tools use them!

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Run a test with either GT1/ISAD or Autologic it will give you a pass fail and you can see the vanos move to verify the soliniod without swapping. leave the parts swapping diagnosis to the DIY you have access to the right tools use them!
this is true

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the seals did not fix the code. code returned as soon as it was cleared.

68 DME: vanos exhaust camshaft, end position not reached
adaptation value outside tolerance (p0014)
fault is relevant to exhaust gas
fault filtered
fault currently not present
sporadic fault

now time to test the solenoids

1 - 20 of 50 Posts