Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Other....

Votes: 8 14.0%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
4,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would you buy? Both look great to me, but leaning towards the Benfer one. They also said they'll give an introductory pricing on their CF strut bar; Haven't heard anything from UUC about a discounted price.

Benfer:

UUC:

·
Mod Squad
12,558 Posts
To me it looks like an issue of function vs. form. From my limited knowledge it appears that the UUC bar will do it's job better than the offering from Benfer, the question is how noticeable will the difference be? :dunno:

In this case I'm somewhere in the middle, I may go with whichever is cheaper.

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,542 Posts
Like everyone said its going to come down to what you want, wheather it's the look or the price. The strength and function is pretty much going to be the same since strut bar can only do so much.

BFP is $499 Carbon Fiber

UUC is $495 Magnesium

·
Registered
394 Posts
THe Benfer looks great. The UUC looks very plain. The attachment points look better on the Benfer too.

Now, I thougth benfer are better priced co. This is outside their normal price point.

I read some place and was told by driving instructor that the e46 really does not need a strut bar. They are very stiff by design. It only improves the function at the very high extremes.

·
4,542 Posts
dan330 said:
THe Benfer looks great. The UUC looks very plain. The attachment points look better on the Benfer too.

Now, I thougth benfer are better priced co. This is outside their normal price point.

I read some place and was told by driving instructor that the e46 really does not need a strut bar. They are very stiff by design. It only improves the function at the very high extremes.
Dan, I would say it still is... let say if that BFP design was lable as ACS, wouldnt you say it probably go for $1k since their current one is like $700 ? Also like you say the UUC looks plain and its going for about same price.

btw - BPF will have an introductory price.

·
Registered
202 Posts
A hinged bar is nothing but eye candy.

The ones I've seen that might really do something other than look nice are the stock M3 one, The UUC, and Strongstrut.com

·
4,542 Posts
I would agree that the OEM m3 would be the best one out of all of them. Most of this is for show.... just get sways if you want best fuctionality.

ACS, Dinan and few others are hinged then you got some that are not. Like I said it will come down to what you like and what you justify for price.

·
Obey my dog
2,616 Posts
i doubt a hinged design versus a non-hinged design will yield any handling improvements since a strut bar on an E46 is not supposed to make any noticable improvement anyways (based on what all of the track experts have said in the past on this board and my experience with my own bar). So I always look at them at eye candy. I would lean toward the UUC because it looks very clean and I am a more conservative type of person, but at that price, I'll just keep my OEM M3 bar since it looks very similar to me. I definetly give props to BFP for an original design and I believe a lot of people will like it.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
with introductory pricing I'd go benfer. Without it, I would go uuc no question. But I actually would never spend anything near 500 for a strut bar unless it was so pretty and I had a show car. Strut bars give you the performance gain with the equivalence of a drop in K&N filter. If you guys are getting strut bars trying to get good performance....save it. Spend less than 500 on sways that will do the job WAY better than any strut bar.

·
The OG Black Roof
2,756 Posts
I definately like UUC's better...I think that the BFP one just looks a little funny....

The hinges, and even the dual spoke design looks weird to me...

But that is just my opinion...I saw their Carbon Intake at the socaleuro meet....GOD DAMN....they have nice carbon products...

So if you like theirs, their carbon is top notch....

·
P.I.M.P.
2,477 Posts
No offence to anyone, but the Benfer does not look functional(ie. underhood jewlery), its more for decoration. It has so many places it can bend(ie near the bases) which kill rigidity....it does look pretty though. I would def choose UUC, if handling is more important than looks.

·
Registered
847 Posts
shakes head....as has been mentioned already the benefits you'll notice on the road are negligible, most of you will never drive your cars to the point where you would notice a difference. As for bling, who the hell is gonna see it under your hood except maybe your mechanic :lmao: unless you're in the habit of popping your hood and pointing it out to everybody each time you stop :dunno:

The UUC one (IMO) looks like $50 of metal. The benfer one looks odd. I'd probably go with the Benfer if I was foolish enough to wanna blow that kinda dough on something that is mostly just eye candy, would probably be good for shows :dunno:

Sometimes I despair... I get the feeling that if some of you were told 'if you buy this $500 magnesium/carbon kevlar dog turd and stick it on the right side of your engine, it will improve the balance of your car' some of you would go buy it.

At the end of the day, at best, its about bling...simply which one looks the best and is the cheapest?

I know some will be offended by my comments but take a step back and think about it. Anyway a forum is for voicing an opinion and not everyones will be the same.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts