E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have a pic of the benfer installed in a 330? I can't seem to figure out how to fit the damn K&N down in there. Help!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bottlerocket said:
Nothing in the directions about wheel liner ... any other ideas?
You need to remove that plastic headlight housing (with the two bolts sort of hidden underneath). After that, install the filter with the lower portion of the intake as Yellowman did in his directions. You can either sit the filter straight up and down by dremmeling the brake duct a-la Dinan, or you can sit it at a 45 degree angle in between the fender liner and the metal headlight bracket. When doing it this way, push the filter more against the fender liner to clear that metal headlight bracket.

Let me know how it goes,

-SB

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up squeezing it in at a 45 degree angle. But I have a problem. I can't get the headlight cover back on. I'm nervous I will snap the first bracket from the Fender. Does it go in between that headlight bracket? If so, it's about 1/2 inch too short - like it shrank. Help!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bottlerocket said:
I ended up squeezing it in at a 45 degree angle. But I have a problem. I can't get the headlight cover back on. I'm nervous I will snap the first bracket from the Fender. Does it go in between that headlight bracket? If so, it's about 1/2 inch too short - like it shrank. Help!!!
Try disassembling the lower portion of the intake as yellowman did in his DIY. If you have the non-K&N filter, the upper part of it is a bit tighter of a squeeze (especially on the Ci's). Try lowering the horizontal angle of the filter so that the pipe sticking out of it goes over a bit more and then up (instead of going straight up). This should allow for it to clear that plastic bit part. Once you can fit the lower portion through the headlight bracket, then attach the center/upper portions to the MAF, then mate the two up, then (last) secure the bracket to the car.

-SB

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actually, no problems on the intake ... it's the re-assembly of the headlight cover I'm having trouble with. As Yellowman did, I didn't disconnect that last bit by the fender, but for the life of me, I can't get the damn first bracket in. Is it supposed to go right into that slot on the headlight frame? I can't get it over and I'm afraid of snapping the clip ... help!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bottlerocket said:
actually, no problems on the intake ... it's the re-assembly of the headlight cover I'm having trouble with. As Yellowman did, I didn't disconnect that last bit by the fender, but for the life of me, I can't get the damn first bracket in. Is it supposed to go right into that slot on the headlight frame? I can't get it over and I'm afraid of snapping the clip ... help!
Any chance I could see a digital pic of what you're talking about?

-SB

·
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?
4,172 Posts
Bottlerocket said:
Are you talking about the headlight bottom trim piece? If so its cus where that piece attach to the fender is still on so its harder to put it back. I just pulled it over enough to slide it back on. If you cant do that then I would take that piece completely off and put it back on. IM me if you need more help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts