BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok last few days ive got a wiered noise coming from the engine bay, i know it has to be a belt but cant pin point which one it is, basically i just wanna confirm its a belt.

When i start to drive a whinning noise begins, if i engage the clutch the noise then disappears. Maybe alternator belt?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well its kinda under load, but it can make the noise if im sitting as well or just in netural riding threw a parking lot, but if i do engadge the clutch the noise sometimes dissappears.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, also if i put it in netural i believe that sound went away when coasting on the road...it goes in and out as well..it happend 3-5 times i drove today

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: I found out when it truly makes the noise, as long as the car is on it will make this noise, the more i push on gas the more it squeaks though. Any ideas which belt this is?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
When is your A/C on during all of this commotion?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
as long as the car is on it will make this noise
Einstein, you're a genius. :idea:

But remember, your car is not going to make any noise when it is OFF. :idea:

·
Registered
229 Posts
UPDATE: I found out when it truly makes the noise, as long as the car is on it will make this noise, the more i push on gas the more it squeaks though. Any ideas which belt this is?
Why not just replace both? Chances are if one belt's squealing, they're both old enough that it's time for new ones. It's a $60, 2-hour (max) DIY.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts