E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fanatics just want to get a bit of an input from knowledgeable people about an issue I have that does not really make any sense.
To make a long story short I have a 2002 330XI stick shift with almost 200K miles on it. One cold morning as I was gently pulling out of a parking spot my car stalled in the middle of the road and did not turn on. The car cranked and cylinders were firing but it could not sustain the ignition. I put it in speed and used the started to kind of get it out of the way onto a sidewalk. After about 5 feet the engine started with poor idle and there was a lot of smoke coming out the exhaust. I mean there was so much smoke you could see the entire street in it and it was so thick and white that it hang in the air for 5-10 minutes.

With this smoking problem persisting I took the car to a mechanic thinking it was a blown head gasket and antifreeze was leaking but turns out there is no leak. He pressurized cylinders, pressurized the whole cooling system no leaks were wound. He then checks and finds that the oil level was practically nonexistent, we put 3 quarts of oil in and like magic the smoking is gone. He checks oil vents / crank vents and oil separator and told me that I have bad piston rings somewhere which requires an expensive repair that is probably more than the price of the car itself.

Now, with the smoking gone when engine works you have to apply gas carefully and gradually otherwise the engine feels like it is stumbling or misfires or works unevenly while it is picking up RPM after that it can sustain RPM and works smoothly.

So what does not make any sense to me is the fact that if I have bad rigs that cause such engine operation issues why ***8220;Check Engine***8221; light is not on if there is a loss of compression and how is it that smoking is gone after you put some oil in the car? Shouldn***8217;t it smoke more with more oil leaking into cylinder with bad rigs?

All input is appreciated I really love the car and just want to make sure I am not missing something obvious before sending it to the junk, maybe someone had similar experiences and issues.

·
Registered
2018 Audi S4
6,586 Posts
The check engine light is for emissions issues. No vehicle that I know of measures compression or other mechanical parts. I'm surprised the oil level sensor didn't light up if you were 3 qts low on oil. Bad rings can mean poor compression or more common oil consumption in these engines. I'd do a compression test and consider a new ccv before doing anything rash. The spark plug condition can tell you a lot. At least if you put 3 qts of oil in you still had 4 to 5 qts left.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You might also check fuel pressure, sounds like a pump/filter/regulator which might need replacement. I'm in agreement with jmo69, a compression check is in order.
Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had this happen to my 2003 330xi on Monday. I towed it into the garage with my truck to warm up and hopefully thaw out the CCV. Going to pull the spark plugs and crank it to see if any oil comes out..then do a compression test on all cylinders. Hopefully no other damage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just had this happen to my 2003 330xi on Monday. I towed it into the garage with my truck to warm up and hopefully thaw out the CCV. Going to pull the spark plugs and crank it to see if any oil comes out..then do a compression test on all cylinders. Hopefully no other damage.
Sorry to hear that hopefully nothing major let us know what you are going to find.

As I was preparing to take my car to a mechanic for a compression test it started misfiring and finally threw a check engine light ( be careful what you wish for right?). over the week the misfiring got so bad that the car no longer sustains idle. I am temped to perform CCV job just to see if it helps but it just too cold outside for that now. Still there is no smoke so I hope it is only the CCV issue, will post here on further findings.

Thanks everyone for their feedback.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just wanted to post some updates. I changed the CCV which was PIA apparently XI dipstick tubes attach differently than non Xi models and are really hard to get off or put back on. The engine works now evenly however the engine shudder/uneven work/misfire is still there. It still happens only while it is picking up the RPM under a hard gas. I am thinking this cloud be a vacuum leak from the head gasket, which is leaking significantly.

·
Registered
475 Posts
just wanted to post some updates. I changed the CCV which was PIA apparently XI dipstick tubes attach differently than non Xi models and are really hard to get off or put back on. The engine works now evenly however the engine shudder/uneven work/misfire is still there. It still happens only while it is picking up the RPM under a hard gas. I am thinking this cloud be a vacuum leak from the head gasket, which is leaking significantly.
Since you've got a 2002, you might check the ignition coils. Our 02 had Bremi's which were terrible. New Bosch units really cured a fair bit of rough running. I still think you've got fuel delivery issues. At that mileage, your probably due for a timing chain at a min.
regards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts