E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I have never heard this noise before, it just started a couple days ago. When you turn the key on, a high pitched beep-beep-beep comes from the dashboard. It is a higher pitch than the sound you usually hear when you leave the lights on, car in gear, etc. Both sounds go on for a couple seconds, then stop. No warning lights or anything else suspicious comes on. What could it be?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is not the PCD.

The beeping sound only comes on for about 3 seconds when you first turn on the ignition, regardless of what gear the car is in.

I am not retarded. I know what sounds usually come from the car, I've had it for 4 months, and I had a 330i for 18 months before this one.

This is a new sound that I've NEVER heard before.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, now the noise has progressed....
Once in a while, it will suddenly make a solid tone for anywhere from 5-45 seconds. Every time I the noise happened, I was driving normally, except for one time when I, um, accelerated a little briskly. No lights come on and nothing else to signal any kind of problem except for the noise.

Hasn't anyone heard of this issue before?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, no offense taken.
The noise is definitely not the "key in the ignition" beep, nor the "lights left one" beep, nor the "you backed up too far" beep. It is really high pitched, like an annoying cricket.

I am taking it to the stealer wednesday, but I want an idea of what to expect so I don't get raped. Its under warranty, but its just peace of mind to know what it is...

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,602 Posts
hm...mabye ur computer is telling you your overdue for an inspection..some kinda warning system something is wrong

do you have navi by any chance?
it could be that...those things can do anything...haha

or....just take it to the stealer and let them take care of it for you

·
Registered
678 Posts
Its not your standard beep from the dashboard. It sounds more like someone duct taped a cell phone to the bottom of your car and its alerting you that there is a voicemail. Thats the only way I can describe it. Only audible from the inside when all is quiet.

Maybe its something that happens to all cars, my hearing tested very high for high pitch noises..... I could be doomed. :(

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
im guessing its when you dont have the seatbelt on, since it beeps for seatbelt and parking brake at the same time and it sounds higher pitched or something, idk. only heard it a few times, but yea i got curious too but i figured it out

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.