E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've been in the automotive business for a pretty long time. From working in an auto parts store, managing a parts warehouse and now I am government technician working on military trucks and and equipment. Not much experience on the European cars.

I remember when working in the parts store, every shop that ordered suspension parts would always ask for either Moog or Beck/Arnley brands for their imports. And on some domestic vehicles they'd ask for AC Delco.

Just the other day I start searching for control arms and I come across this site by the name of Rockauto.com. And their prices were pretty good.

My question is: do you guys think it's worth replacing suspension parts with such brands as Beck/Arnley or Moog?(mind you, I live in Florida where we have pretty good roads and lots of highway and I don't ever track my car and my car is a 2004 ZHP sedan 6spd) thanx in advance

·
Registered
779 Posts
For some parts, Moog and Beck/Arnley are even more expensive than OEM! I have used both before and both are excellent quality parts, sometimes even better quality than OEM! If their prices are similar, I would go with either Moog or B/A bec of their lifetime warranty. OEM, if installed by you, have no such warranty!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
My question is: do you guys think it's worth replacing suspension parts with such brands as Beck/Arnley or Moog?
No, I'd use OE Original Equipment Genuine BMW or judiciously use OEM Original Equipment Manufacturer on your ZHP, depending on the part. Never have I heard of any Beck Arnley piece ever being better than an OEM piece. The guys in the MB forums put the brand lower than Uro on the great list of brand rankings.
I have heard of repackaged OEM parts coming in Beck Arnley boxes though, but only on the BMW forums. If you buy parts at the McParts stores it might be best to inspect and look for the OEM brand markings.
But this is complicating it further than I would be willing to tolerate of it were me. I like things simple, which is why I only use OE unless the price is totally ludicrous in which case I will go with a thoroughly researched OEM. OE parts have a warranty I believe, and you can get a discount with a BMWCCA membership.
The best part about OE is I have never had a problem with OE parts failing. If I had a ZHP I'd only use the good stuff.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see both points. My dealer here has a military discount so I will get some quotes from them as it will be a major suspension overhaul. One thing I'm afraid of is not getting the right suspension (I.e. Sport) if I don't go OE. But those others prices from B/A are so tempting

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've used rockauto for parts for my Yukon and Avalon, but not my 330i. For cheap aftermarket parts for the other cars, as long as you don, t mind cheap, rock is good. Just my 2 cts.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've used rockauto for parts for my Yukon and Avalon, but not my 330i. For cheap aftermarket parts for the other cars, as long as you don, t mind cheap, rock is good. Just my 2 cts.
Cheap as in quality or cheap as in price?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
255 Posts
A little of both. Interior trim pieces can be a little off in color and fit, but they work. Headlamps are usually TYC brand, which is decent. But, I found Trico wiper blade assemblies for my Yukon for $1.38 each, so sometimes there are some deals. But, no, I haven't found anything I would put on my 330i.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts