E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
The Part Number provided is for General Module 5 or "GM V" as it's identified in BMW's literature. Let's start with some back ground on what GM V does, which is, it controls BODY functions such as windshield wipers/cleaning, central locking including the trunk or hatch, keyless entry control, power windows, interior lighting, etc. The only role that GM V has in starting procedure of your car is that it recognizes your key through the keyless entry system, by unlocking the door and then executing any settings or protocols specific to your key. Other than that, GM V is not (or at least it does not appear to be) a direct driver in the EWS allowing your car to start, although GM V is linked to the EWS via K-BUS line.

The function of this Body Module that controls the items listed above and how that it directly affects you starting the car after you jump into the drivers seat is not apparent to me. It seems to me, once you've entered the car via the remote built into the key, the responsibility of the GM V module is now over, and the next electronic module to be used is the EWS. Now the question becomes, are you certain you or your mechanic's diagnosis, investigation and conclusion that GM V is indeed the part responsible for your car not starting? No disrespect but I think a bit more diagnosis is needed to make sure that indeed this Body Module is at fault.

As for your other question, it looks like GM V is used throughout the E46 range of cars, so it would be possible to buy one and have it programmed for your vehicle. Ahh the great mysteries of German Engineering... As for finding the fault, happy hunting as they say...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Part Number provided is for General Module 5 or "GM V" as it's identified in BMW's literature. Let's start with some back ground on what GM V does, which is, it controls BODY functions such as windshield wipers/cleaning, central locking including the trunk or hatch, keyless entry control, power windows, interior lighting, etc. The only role that GM V has in starting procedure of your car is that it recognizes your key through the keyless entry system, by unlocking the door and then executing any settings or protocols specific to your key. Other than that, GM V is not (or at least it does not appear to be) a direct driver in the EWS allowing your car to start, although GM V is linked to the EWS via K-BUS line.

The function of this Body Module that controls the items listed above and how that it directly affects you starting the car after you jump into the drivers seat is not apparent to me. It seems to me, once you've entered the car via the remote built into the key, the responsibility of the GM V module is now over, and the next electronic module to be used is the EWS. Now the question becomes, are you certain you or your mechanic's diagnosis, investigation and conclusion that GM V is indeed the part responsible for your car not starting? No disrespect but I think a bit more diagnosis is needed to make sure that indeed this Body Module is at fault.

As for your other question, it looks like GM V is used throughout the E46 range of cars, so it would be possible to buy one and have it programmed for your vehicle. Ahh the great mysteries of German Engineering... As for finding the fault, happy hunting as they say...
wow you gave everything i need to know about the bcm but when i get into the car i put the key try to star it but it only gives me a click i have a new key though so in the dealer said that i have a faulty bcm so they cant program the key, i remember he said something that if i don't change that bcm it was a matter of time that the car wouldn't start again so what do you think

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.