BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a new thread since I'm getting no response anywhere else.

I have a 2002 BMW 330ci with premium and sport package.

My BC button has not been functioning. I am stuck the dash showing the time. So I decided to come and read the forums for some help. I followed the advice of multiple users with the same problem and decided to replace the stalk. I bought the first one on Ebay.

As soon as I received it, I removed the old one and replaced it. BC button still did not function.

I looked at the wires and prongs for the stalk. There are 4 so I know the car is wired for it.

One day, I removed the outside temperature sensor by the front driver's wheel. The dash was no longer showing the time and was instead showing -40. So I reinstalled the temperature sensor and it was still showing the outdoor temp, but only the correct one (+75 at the time). This stayed like this for months. The BC button still would function.

I read the forums and came across the BMW-Scanner from PA Soft. I decided to purchase it. When I received it, I plugged it in to the computer. Drivers and everything installing correctly.

I go to the IKE section. The "On board computer" option was already checked. So I tell myself maybe it needs refreshed. So I un-check, then code. Button not working (as expected). And then re-check it and code. Button still would not work.

Okay, no problem. I come back to the forums and I was convinced it was the "like-new" stalk i bought from ebay. So I decided to buy a complete brand new one from a OEM parts seller.

I received it. Brand new. Wrapped. In a BMW box. I got exited since I thought for sure this would work. I go ahead and install it. And to my amazement the BC function still does not function.

I plug in the bmw scanner, fire up the software. Redo the un-check and check procedure for "on-board computer" option. Still nothing. It does not work!

All fuses are good. I pulled most of them (except for srs). I read too many threads on this and other forums with no luck.

Someone please help me diagnose this problem. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
So the BC button worked at some point. faulty wiring somewhere perhaps. Trouble shoot with a volt meter and verify you're getting Ground and +12v signals to the stalk where it should be

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The turn signals work so I know I am getting power to the stalk. Do you know which color wires I should check?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, I did re-program other things such as my windows and lights and it worked perfect so that cancels out the issue with the scanner/software.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at the fuse box and info sheet. Fuse #10 was missing... I bought a 5 amp fuse and now the BC functions work BUT the airbag light was on.... Fixed one problem but I now have another... What is going on.....

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I looked at the fuse box and info sheet. Fuse #10 was missing... I bought a 5 amp fuse and now the BC functions work BUT the airbag light was on.... Fixed one problem but I now have another... What is going on.....
I just cannot believe no one know ANYTHING about this....
I can't believe you don't either! :lmao:

Check the seat belt tension er wiring under the seat. This can sometimes get out of place and crushed by the seat. But if you read the ABG module you'd know that.

I can't believe you didn't know that!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't believe you don't either! :lmao:

Check the seat belt tension er wiring under the seat. This can sometimes get out of place and crushed by the seat. But if you read the ABG module you'd know that.

I can't believe you didn't know that!
Yup, I'm also new to bimmers. I'm trying to learn though.

I plugged in the scanner and two SRS errors come up:

RED box (fault present): 0D [013] - Driver's airbag, stage 2, resistance too high

Shadow
Yellow box (fault currently not present)0D [013] - Driver's airbag, stage 2, resistance too high

So I'm getting two same errors. One that tells me its present, the other not present...

When I clear the error, it disappears and comes back immediately.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Yup, I'm also new to bimmers. I'm trying to learn though.

I plugged in the scanner and two SRS errors come up:

RED box (fault present): 0D [013] - Driver's airbag, stage 2, resistance too high

Shadow
Yellow box (fault currently not present)0D [013] - Driver's airbag, stage 2, resistance too high

So I'm getting two same errors. One that tells me its present, the other not present...

When I clear the error, it disappears and comes back immediately.
The present code means your drive side airbag or maybe your steering wheel forgot how the car labels them is defective and can explain the fuse blow out.

The planetary ring in the steering wheel may be worn. Or you can simply code it out through ncsexpert. not sure if pa soft can do it since I've never used it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The #10 fuse was not blown, it was missing... I'm assuming the error was always there and that fuse takes disables the light and the stop the obc from scrolling through the options. I'll look at the other fuses and see.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sub'd.

My car (MY 2000) didn't have the BC button, so I added a used "known good" part. Coded. Didn't work. Uncoded/recoded. Still didn't work.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Success!

Well, it appears that I didn't check closely enough when I installed the 5A fuse in #10.

Originally, I just pulled the "spare" from the horizontal row between the rows of fuses and pushed it into the slot. Apparently, the previous owner used that one and, for some reason, put the blow fuse in that slot.

So, your suggestion got me to look at the fuse. I pulled it, replaced it, and presto! OBC data in the dash.

Thank you! :thumbup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it appears that I didn't check closely enough when I installed the 5A fuse in #10.

Originally, I just pulled the "spare" from the horizontal row between the rows of fuses and pushed it into the slot. Apparently, the previous owner used that one and, for some reason, put the blow fuse in that slot.

So, your suggestion got me to look at the fuse. I pulled it, replaced it, and presto! OBC data in the dash.

Great!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Having similar issue. Clock works. That's it. When I hit bc button
....nothing. was your factory equipment or you added it and got it to work?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
802 Posts
Did you retrofit or did the BC stalk come with the car?

If retrofit, you need to:

• Verify that slot #10 has a functioning 5A fuse tightly seated in it
  • Recode

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Did you retrofit or did the BC stalk come with the car?

If retrofit, you need to:

• Verify that slot #10 has a functioning 5A fuse tightly seated in it
  • Recode
This. It might be dumb but I was not the only one to go through everything (even changing the stalk twice) to get this working. All I had to do is insert a 5A fuse in the #10 fuse slot.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts

The lesson to take from this is, not only check the fuse that comes out, also check the fuse that goes in. You had a missing fuse, then plugged in a blown fuse -- which changes nothing and the symptoms persist, causing you to chase your tail.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts