BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
My BC button from the turn signal switch is not working for a while .
I opened the switch t check the wires connected t the BC buttn and they seem 100% intact . i even replaced another switch but did not help.
Fuses 9,7,41 related to onboard computer and monitor were checked.
what are the other possibilities 🤔 please that makes it inoperative.
I have the bentley manual and nothing is detailed about BC repair .
Thank you so much 💓

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
The problem could be the cluster. Google “BMW E46 hidden OBC functions.” Test #2 exercises the gauge cluster. I don’t remember if it tests the display in the cluster. If that doesn’t work PM scottjon. He may be able to help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Markus
The cluster is tested and working properly.
just there is no communication between the BC button and the cluster display 🙃.
Hope to find a solution for this defect.

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,364 Posts
Is there continuity between the BC button and the cluster display?

Use last 7 digits of vin to pull up your vehicle and look up wiring diagrams & service info at: www.newtis.info

You could check continuity between pin 1 at the turn/bc stalk connector and pin 13 at the instrument cluster X11176 harness (the 18 pin connector):

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem could be the cluster. Google “BMW E46 hidden OBC functions.” Test #2 exercises the gauge cluster. I don’t remember if it tests the display in the cluster. If that doesn’t work PM scottjon. He may be able to help.

·
Registered
2002 330xi Black Sapphire
10 Posts
I have a question. My BC button does not work either, but I have no clock set either, since the clock set tabs are not engaging their respective switches in the cluster. Does the clock have to be set before any on the other functions of the BC button will function? Is there any other way to set the clock, besides taking the cluster apart and physically pushing the buttons?

·
Registered
2004 325i automagic
2,364 Posts
I have a question. My BC button does not work either, but I have no clock set either, since the clock set tabs are not engaging their respective switches in the cluster. Does the clock have to be set before any on the other functions of the BC button will function? Is there any other way to set the clock, besides taking the cluster apart and physically pushing the buttons?
No, I don't think the clock being set or not should have any bearing on the BC button function. One of the e46s I maintian has a broken clock set button in the instrument cluster and so can't set the time, yet I recently installed a BC turn stalk which is fully functional.

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts
Ok, so you can likely rule out the cluster.
How? How, can you rule out the cluster? The cluster self test is useless for testing the BC button.

.... Is there any other way to set the clock, besides taking the cluster apart and physically pushing the buttons?
I know of no other way to set the time except through the buttons. They broke on my cluster a long long time ago so I retasked the push functionality of the time stalk from 12/24 hr switch to become time advance. This was I can change the time, but, can no longer go backwards in time or change between 12hr and 24hr modes, but, I can set the time.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
How? How, can you rule out the cluster? The cluster self test is useless for testing the BC button.

I know of no other way to set the time except through the buttons. They broke on my cluster a long long time ago so I retasked the push functionality of the time stalk from 12/24 hr switch to become time advance. This was I can change the time, but, can no longer go backwards in time or change between 12hr and 24hr modes, but, I can set the time.
Because he ran a successful cluster test.

·
Premium Member
3,501 Posts
Because he ran a successful cluster test.
That cluster test is for testing needle drive and lights (except for backlight on older cluster, and airbag light). It DOES NOT test any of the inputs to the cluster. Why do you believe the cluster test is some comprehensive test and say it’s definitively good is it passes the test. It’s not even a test. It doesn’t say “PASS” “FAIL” at the conclusion or anything. There could be lights that are bad, malicoulously covered up or removed that if you don’t know what your looking for would miss. Stop repeatedly telling people that they should run the cluster test, it’s not a test.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Scott, I’m aware that the test isolates the cluster from its input and merely tests the operation of the gauges and the light.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,956 Posts
NO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts