E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Sofa-king-what
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to be classified as dumb as I had these rims since 2005 but I'm starting to have a doubt..

2 years ago I changed spacers on rear (from 1,2 to 0,5cm) and I've changed the bolts too to fit with new dimensions,
previously bolts were spherical, while the actual ones are the standard (in terms of lenght and shape)
since then i started notice a vibration from a certain speed,
ok a rim has been welded/restored due to a crack but is 100% round and perfectly balanced (< 30gr weight total)

last week I changed the R/R speed sensor and i've noticed that some sort of play of the rim on the centering ring of the hub itself, thing that i never noticed..
yesterday i was driving on the highway and surprisingly the vibration, at the same speed was waaaay lower than usual.

I'm assuming I accidentally centered the wheel perfectly by hand, this will explain why the other set of whell (that needs a centering ring) are not giving me this vibration at all.

wheels are BBS CH 18" (CH015-CH018)

is it possible??

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,971 Posts
Having corrected/learned/fixed many a car with hub centering rings over the decades; I'll offer this:

The tighter the correct fit of any centering ring to the hub of the car AND inside the inner lip of the wheel is crucial.

20 years ago I fitted a custom big brake kit to my E30 M3 track car. This necessitated installing spacers not only on top of the rotor/hub, but also underneath. To achieve proper spacing for the larger rotors and calipers. This left me bereft of a proper centering ring for the 17" E36 M3 sport wheels.

Try as I did to place the wheel perfectly center, then methodically tighten the wheel down in a star pattern of 20, 40, 60 80 and finally 100 Nm (trying to be sure the wheel remained perfectly centered...) eventually after 10 minutes the wheels were NO LONGER perfectly centered and presented me with an "out of balance" feel.
So I learned something.

The bolts only hold the wheel onto the car. The hub and/or centering ring is what is 100% responsible for having the wheel run "straight and true."

I made up my own centering rings on a lathe. Problem solved.

I dare say that 80% of folks underestimate the importance of the little seemingly innocuous hub centering rings.
IMO the BBS modular system of proper (different sizes) snap in centering rings is the best. Albeit they are made to snap into BBS wheels.
1 wheel can fit many cars, with different number snap in centering rings.

·
Sofa-king-what
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Having corrected/learned/fixed many a car with hub centering rings over the decades; I'll offer this:

The tighter the correct fit of any centering ring to the hub of the car AND inside the inner lip of the wheel is crucial.

20 years ago I fitted a custom big brake kit to my E30 M3 track car. This necessitated installing spacers not only on top of the rotor/hub, but also underneath. To achieve proper spacing for the larger rotors and calipers. This left me bereft of a proper centering ring for the 17" E36 M3 sport wheels.

Try as I did to place the wheel perfectly center, then methodically tighten the wheel down in a star pattern of 20, 40, 60 80 and finally 100 Nm (trying to be sure the wheel remained perfectly centered...) eventually after 10 minutes the wheels were NO LONGER perfectly centered and presented me with an "out of balance" feel.
So I learned something.

The bolts only hold the wheel onto the car. The hub and/or centering ring is what is 100% responsible for having the wheel run "straight and true."

I made up my own centering rings on a lathe. Problem solved.

I dare say that 80% of folks underestimate the importance of the little seemingly innocuous hub centering rings.
IMO the BBS modular system of proper (different sizes) snap in centering rings is the best. Albeit they are made to snap into BBS wheels.
1 wheel can fit many cars, with different number snap in centering rings.

wait !

conic wheel bolts, if properly tightened, will center the wheel 100%, for sure
in the meanwhile i made some research in here and i found out that FRONT (CH015) are hubcentric
still having doubt on the rear, which in the last 17 years never gave me any sort of problem despite the fact that I changed the tyres at least 5/6 times since then (and removed the wheels even more).

the new rear spacers are specifically for e46 so i guess that the hub size is the same (and as they're 5mm they don't need longer bolts)

yesterday i've sent a mail to Italian BBS officialo importer, but received no reply yet..

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,971 Posts
wait !

in the meanwhile i made some research in here and i found out that FRONT (CH015) are hubcentric
still having doubt on the rear, which in the last 17 years never gave me any sort of problem despite the fact that I changed the tyres at least 5/6 times since then (and removed the wheels even more).

the new rear spacers are specifically for e46 so i guess that the hub size is the same (and as they're 5mm they don't need longer bolts)

yesterday i've sent a mail to Italian BBS officialo importer, but received no reply yet..

That's NOT been my experience. Conical, hemispherical or other bolts....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts