E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any company out there make a full BBK for the front and back? And will I be able to fit them under 17" wheels? What do the guys with the BBK do when its time to go back to stock wheels in the winter?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
You can use the Brembo 12.6" Kit. It will fit under the stock type 68 wheels.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they make a kit for the front and rear brakes? I think it looks odd just to have the front... Would you know if it would fit under the type 44 wheel?

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
5,457 Posts
Full Time Hit Man said:
You can use the Brembo 12.6" Kit. It will fit under the stock type 68 wheels.
you sure about that calvin? I remember dondon couldnt even do that with the ECIS kit. he had to use 7mm spacers.

·
Still around...
1,594 Posts
DropTopBM said:
Does any company out there make a full BBK for the front and back? And will I be able to fit them under 17" wheels? What do the guys with the BBK do when its time to go back to stock wheels in the winter?
get the UUC's for that vert... and what, you down sizing to 17's now, or did all the rain shrink those 18's? :lmao:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: BBK question --- 17" wheels and full kit

Krix330cic(NJ) said:

get the UUC's for that vert... and what, you down sizing to 17's now, or did all the rain shrink those 18's? :lmao:

Heh... Nah I mean for the winter when I put the stockers back on... I will PM you about the brakes when your [email protected] a$$ gets on AIM... Take your away message off

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Yup, I'm sure. I got pics to prove. If ppl wants it. I can post it later tonight when I get off work. :D

4,171 Posts
DropTopBM said:
It really depends on a couple of factors:

1) wheel offset.

2) spoke thickness.

3) spoke curvature at the outer side where it meets the wheel barrel.

Some 17" wheels do not require any spacers to run a 13" kit. For example, the SSR Competition has a fantastic amount of space, requiring no additional spacers:

However, a wheel like the early E46 17" 7-spoke may require 5mm spacers, simply due to spoke thickness.

In all reality, there are even some 14" BBKs which fit under 17" wheels. As with 13" setups, the spacer issue is important and spoke curvature becomes an even greater factor.

Stuff a 14" kit under a 17" wheel and it looks like this:

And yes, UUC offers a matching rear BBK. :D

HTH!

- Rob

4,171 Posts
Jspeed said:
I don't know why you're looking for a rear BBK but you should take a look at this article. Rear brakes do very little work and the stock units should be more than sufficient.

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/rear_brake_upgrade_is_bigger_better120601.htm
For clarification, Stoptech makes two types of BBKs... one if you just want to do the fronts, and another different front if you're going to add rears.

A BBK on the front only that is designed for advanced stopping ability can be balanced with rear factory brakes when you use a brake pad one heat range higher. For example, Hawk HP-S in the front BBK, Hawk HP-P in the rear stockers.

- Rob

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rob:

For the winter I will be using the 17" sport package type 44 wheels

and for the summer its going to be 18" hm2

Will it still work?

4,171 Posts
DropTopBM said:
Rob:

For the winter I will be using the 17" sport package type 44 wheels

and for the summer its going to be 18" hm2

Will it still work?

If you mean this wheels, you will need 5mm spacers in the front:

I think we have a pre-release tester using the HM2 wheel, so we will know in a few days. We do not have the HM2, and without one of those wheels here, we cannot test it.

- Rob

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok... I will keep a look out for any new info.... But rob I am pretty sure u guys will be testing a 19" hm2, correct? would it make a difference on a 18" hm2?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts