E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I go out to the garage yesterday to head to the store and my 99 323i (130k) greets me with a loud "click click" when I try to start it. ugh

The on-battery indicator is green, and a quick multi-meter post-to-post measure was around 10 or so.

Hooked up the charger and set it to "start" mode and it started. Ok, good deal.

So I put the charger on it for a few hours and took the bike to the store.

Checked the charge a few hours later and it's at 13 and some change. Started right up. I'm thinking "just needed a charge and I'll be good to go tomorrow."

Fast-forward to this morning.

I go out to the garage to start it up and I'm once again greeted with the loud "click click" sound but nooo startie.

What think ye? Time to replace the battery?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I recently had the same exact problem and it ended up just being the battery. Been using the new one for a month or 2 now and everything has been fine. My old battery also showed green on the indicator and took a charge, it just didn't keep the charge. I thought it might be the alternator but since the new battery has been going strong for so long I assume it was just an issue of an old battery. The battery I replaced was at least 5 years old if not more (it was used when I got it 5 years ago)

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
With the 10 volt reading after the battery sits, you may have a dead cell.
Is there any load on the battery? Something drawing current while the car is off?

I would disconnect the battery, charge it completely. Remove the charger and check the voltage after it sits unconnected 4 - 8 hours.
If it is down to 10 volts, you have a bad cell. If it is still fully charged, start looking for what is drawing current after you turn the car off.

·
Banned
501 Posts
Obviously the battery. If it's the alternator, you'll be going through this again in a week. If it was the starter, after all this, your car still wouldn't start.

·
Registered
468 Posts
have you measured across the (+) and (-) terminals while the car is on? That will also tell you if your alternator is charging the battery or not. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts