BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped at autozone to pick up a new battery for my 02 325xi and it says Vehicle computer system must be reset. I looked online some and there was people talking about how their batteries would explode with out registering their battery. I'm a bit confused on the whole thing and was wondering if someone could give me a step by step from start to finish or link me to somewhere where I can get a step by step on the replacement of a battery mainly including the process to reset the vehicles computer or registering the battery.
Thank you

·
Registered
660 Posts
You do not have to reset the cars computer when you replace the battery. That situation only applies to the newer cars. Just take the old onne out, install the new one and you are ready to go. The guy at auto zone was probably looking at what his computer said to do and is not familiar with older BMW.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You do not have to reset the cars computer when you replace the battery. That situation only applies to the newer cars. Just take the old onne out, install the new one and you are ready to go. The guy at auto zone was probably looking at what his computer said to do and is not familiar with older BMW.
Thank you. I figured it shouldn't be all that complicated on older models anyways lol

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Battery Registration is NOT required for the E46, it was not until the E9x models that the 3 series requires Battery Registration due to the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) system being included in newer models. I think the both the 2001 7 series E65 and the 2004 5 series E60 may have been some of the first BMW's to use the IBS system.

The idiots at the auto parts stores hear the 3 letters, "BMW" and they immediately go into vapor lock mode. Unfortunately they are counter jockey's and cannot use the brain cells they were born with .

I see this all the time when getting batteries for BMW's at parts stores.

·
Registered
11,102 Posts
Battery Registration is NOT required for the E46, it was not until the E9x models that the 3 series requires Battery Registration due to the IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) system being included in newer models. I think the both the 2001 7 series E65 and the 2004 5 series E60 may have been some of the first BMW's to use the IBS system.

The idiots at the auto parts stores hear the 3 letters, "BMW" and they immediately go into vapor lock mode. Unfortunately they are counter jockey's and cannot use the brain cells they were born with .

I see this all the time when getting batteries for BMW's at parts stores.

“Vapor lock”! How appropriate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts