E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night after work I got to my car, let warm up a bit like I usually do then right before I was ready to leave I see the battery light flashing, so I rushed home( I live literally 3 blocks away) tell my brother he says it could be from the battery being loose so I tighten it turn the car on and it's gone. This morning as I'm leaving to school as I'm leaving my neighborhood I notice the light come back home flashing I pull over and look through Google and the owners manual but no luck then I look up and it's gone. I have no idea what it is, the battery is pretty new and I never leave anything on or plugged in that would drain the battery. Could possible something's loose? And not giving enough charge or possibly even alternator?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Last night after work I got to my car, let warm up a bit like I usually do then right before I was ready to leave I see the battery light flashing, so I rushed home( I live literally 3 blocks away) tell my brother he says it could be from the battery being loose so I tighten it turn the car on and it's gone. This morning as I'm leaving to school as I'm leaving my neighborhood I notice the light come back home flashing I pull over and look through Google and the owners manual but no luck then I look up and it's gone. I have no idea what it is, the battery is pretty new and I never leave anything on or plugged in that would drain the battery. Could possible something's loose? And not giving enough charge or possibly even alternator?
Your alternator is dying/dead. Chances are you don't have to replace the entire thing just the voltage regulator inside of it - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bosch-p...Lf1VY3OR-MoBbIHC-fHjk-YquCZWjxKcaAv1CEALw_wcB.

I had the same issue on my E36 with my battery light coming on, and off, then flickering, then the battery died. Charged the battery and it was fine but took my alternator off and the voltage regulator has worn down past the point of contact therefore not making electricity.

·
Registered
29,664 Posts
Get new alt or voltage regulator soon--whole new alternator is easy. alternatorpros is one ive used in the past. next day shipping and box to return your old one. very easy.

you'll also need a new battery for optimum results because your bunkered alternator likely bopped your existing battery... and besides your existing battery is probably bunk anyway.

Best results you get both. or else your OLD battery will kill your NEW alternator by overworking it and you'll be at square one again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I replaced the whole alternator and the one I got had a voltage regulator already designed in it, but after all this happened I took my car home and let it sit the following day I checked on it and the remote and other functions didn't work. This was last Tuesday, today the alternator was completely replaced and went to turn the car on and nothing happened, possible the battery completely drained?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.