BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: car was sitting for 2yrs, I changed the head gasket and got everything back up and running.

I have driven the car around town a bunch and didn't have any problems. I took it on the hwy for the first time and on the return of a ~60 mile trip the battery light started flashing. I parked the car but the next day it wouldn't start just a click.

I got a new battery, installed it and still had the same issue, no start. I jump the car and it made no difference. Let it sit a little then it worked fine. I took the car to the gym with no problems, even stoped at the bank and it started up fine. After the gym it wouldnt start again. Waited and kept trying and then it finnaly started.

This morning car started fine but on the hwy I got the battery light again.

I am getting the proper 12ish volts with car off and 14ish with the car on. I want to think its the starter but then would that trigger the battery light?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Bad ground? Check battery connections and ground, also check the jump posts under the hood.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Since the car sat for so long there might be corrosion on some of the main fuses, relays, starter and alternator.

I had a boat once that had sat for a while. It had a new battery and I was out on the lake checking it out and I tried the air horn. Boat died, not a dash light, main fuses OK, nearly welded the screwdriver to the terminals of the battery so lots of juice. As I am being towed back to the dock I keep trying the ignition and it starts!

Hours of checking things out and adding new ignition switch it ended up being a tiny bit of corrosion in the fuse holder.:ben:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since the car sat for so long there might be corrosion on some of the main fuses, relays, starter and alternator.

I had a boat once that had sat for a while. It had a new battery and I was out on the lake checking it out and I tried the air horn. Boat died, not a dash light, main fuses OK, nearly welded the screwdriver to the terminals of the battery so lots of juice. As I am being towed back to the dock I keep trying the ignition and it starts!

Hours of checking things out and adding new ignition switch it ended up being a tiny bit of corrosion in the fuse holder.:ben:
LOL did something crazy with the alternator on another car before, sparks and metal flying everywhere.

It did turn out to be the battery post under the engine bay, I checked only the negative yesterday and it was dark. Saw it wiggeling around today. Car is fine now.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts